Core Duo or Core 2 Duo???

Reaction score
Should I keep the core duo and upgrade to 2gb ram?? Or get the core 2 duo with 1gb ram??? Which one is better? All i want really is programs to open quickly, fast UI, and not be sluggish or crash at all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
If you have the core duo, you have a fast enough machine for now, there is no need to upgrade, what you have is a good computer, just like I have a 2.16 core duo and I know that it will last me a few years before I buy a new laptop...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Should I keep the core duo and upgrade to 2gb ram?? Or get the core 2 duo with 1gb ram??? Which one is better? All i want really is programs to open quickly, fast UI, and not be sluggish or crash at all

Keep what you have (or if you really need to chamge give ne yours and I'll give you mine in return)

Core 2 duo is only the start.....there are quads and other multi core processors on the horizon.....so when is enough?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Unless you have a serious need for the extra horsepower, there's really no need for you to upgrade the processor. If you have a real need to spend money, I would suggest getting the RAM, as you can never have enough RAM :black:

Reaction score
That's like a huge cost difference! From an economically sensible POV, keep the Core Duo. If you have all the money in the world and don't care about being sensible, buy the C2D.
BUT, a CD with 2GB RAM will appear smoother in many areas than a C2D with just 1GB RAM. The processors differ only marginally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
Despite what Apple claim Core 2s don't give you a huge increase so it would be a waste of money.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Despite what Apple claim Core 2s don't give you a huge increase so it would be a waste of money.

...at least for the moment. Once 64-bit applications become commonplace, you'll see much better performance on a machine capable of taking advantage of the 64-bit instruction sets.

But I agree with the other posters - look at how long it's taken software vendors to port to universal binaries. It will take even longer to port to 64-bit (if ever). It's far more likely that your CD MacBook's major moving components will fail before then that it is that you will find yourself wanting for 64-bit support. The bottom line is that here and now, the need for a 64-bit processor is relatively insignificant. Check back in 3 years and we'll be singing a different tune. By that time, 8+ core processors and cache size increases - even different CPU archetectures will make the difference between a CD and a C2D mostly irrelevant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz iMac Core 2 Duo, 1.5Ghz Powerbook G4
You'll find adding an extra GB of RAW will bost performance more than upgrading the processor at this point in time

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.