What is avg life-span of an iPod?...

Reaction score
I have heard that the battery cannot be replaced. If this is true, it borders on violating an "implied" product warranty in my way of thinking. It would be akin to Microsoft selling Windows for all these years. You know, - how can a Company put a product on the Market that doesn't work 30% to 40% of the time in the basic way it was intended.

If the battery cannot be replaced, are there ways around this? If not, it is indeed shameful of Apple to market it in this manner - and if this goes for the iPhone, it is even more shameful!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I sold my first iPod to a friend, it was a 15gb 3rd gen ipod. It still works fine, although the bettery is noticeably weaker than when it was new. But that doesn't really matter, as he uses it in his truck most of the time, and can just plug in the charger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz iMac Core 2 Duo, 1.5Ghz Powerbook G4
I have my iPod 4G hooked up to some speakers and have it running for as long as I'm awake almosy everyday for the past 18 months and have no problems with battery power when i take it out with me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I have heard that the battery cannot be replaced. If this is true, it borders on violating an "implied" product warranty in my way of thinking. It would be akin to Microsoft selling Windows for all these years. You know, - how can a Company put a product on the Market that doesn't work 30% to 40% of the time in the basic way it was intended.

If the battery cannot be replaced, are there ways around this? If not, it is indeed shameful of Apple to market it in this manner - and if this goes for the iPhone, it is even more shameful!

Two quick points (kinda been covered in previous posts). The iPOD battery is replaceable and this can be done cheaply and easily. It's a bit of a pain opening the thing, although some online battery sellers give you a kit to do this without damaging your machine. I replaced the battery in my 3 year old iPOD and it has a new lease of life, with a 10 hour battery that doesn't die from one day to the next.

2nd point is that Apple have a habit pf making their consumer products difficult to maintain (unlike, say, the Mac Pro which is designed to be easy to play with). The reason is probably partly to stop people upgrading and fixing them alone, but also a nod to design. If the iPOD had a slide open back like a cell phone, people would be changing the batteries, the HDD and goodness knows what else and this would probably mean some design compromises.

As with anything, there are always ways around this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Modded ipods eh? interesting....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
If you bought AppleCare with your iPod 4G and up I believe, it covers replacing the battery. The Apple Sales Rep on the phone told me that after I ordered my U2 iPod even though I was intending on getting it anyway. Luckily my battery is still good so I haven't needed to take them up on that option yet. :D

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for all the response. I found out that..

using a automobile (cig lighter) charger is a no no. It produces a fast charge that will not last as long and will cause the battery to deteriorate faster over time. Trickle charge from the dock connector is best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
using a automobile (cig lighter) charger is a no no. It produces a fast charge that will not last as long and will cause the battery to deteriorate faster over time. Trickle charge from the dock connector is best.
What source did you get that from? I have a Belkin car charger and I used it on my 3G iPod for a couple of years before the HD went south. I use the same charger on my 5G now. I have never had any issue with the battery losing a charge any faster or deteriorating on either iPod. The 3G still kept a charge for quite a few hours as does my 5G.

I am not sure where you have been getting your information from, but it doesn't sound very reliable. :black:

OP
F
Reaction score
Car Battery charge....

One of the I.T. guys I work with told me that. He said it is because the car charger is coming off a 12 volt charge (car battery). This seems to be confirmed by others I have talked to. -- maybe your Belkin accounts for this voltage conversion a little better than most car chargers - I don't know, but it sounded like good advice to me.

I don't much like the idea of charging an expensive iPod on a car charger anyway. More power to you. No pun intended.

Reaction score
2nd point is that Apple have a habit pf making their consumer products difficult to maintain (unlike, say, the Mac Pro which is designed to be easy to play with). The reason is probably partly to stop people upgrading and fixing them alone, but also a nod to design. If the iPOD had a slide open back like a cell phone, people would be changing the batteries, the HDD and goodness knows what else and this would probably mean some design compromises.

As with anything, there are always ways around this.

Thanks for this point of view - had not thought of this before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I replaced the battery in my Gen 1 iPod 2 or 3 years ago and still use it on a regular basis. The life span really depends on you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
my ipod mini which i got august 2005 stills works like new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I know that the whole idea of fast charge vs trickle charge is relavent to lead acid batteries. Fast charging causes the battery to become sulfated. Also it generates alot of heat. I'm not sure about li-ion batteries, but i suspect it will be the same. the heat will build up on a fast charge alot faster, also the ipod isnt vented so the heat will stay close to the battery, and heat isnt any batteries friend... so trickle charging is prolly best!:headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

Not true. Li-on batteries don't suffer from this problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.
iPod Death Clock

Enter your serial number, answer a few questions about your iPod, and it'll give you an estimate of how long your little iPod has left to live.

Reaction score
you can send it in to get the battery replaced for like $50
i was told when i bought mine that i'd probably have to get it replaced in about a year, depending on how much i used it.

but $50 really isn't that bad...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
minnes half a year old. At least that I've had it. Seems to last me about 2 dats. I use it on the subway to and from school thats 3 hours each day so 6 hours plus i listen to it befor bed for an hour so that totals 8 hours.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.