Sharing printer from ubuntu to Mac OS X

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I need some help from the experts! I have an hp LaserJet connected to a PC running Ubuntu. Printer works with the PC, and I just made it available to the network. Then I went to a Mac and tried to reach it via CUPS, but probably I'm skipping a step somewhere. I'm trying to reach it with the IP address of the ubuntu computer and pointing to port 631. However it can not reach the server. It's says access is denied.

Can someone please tell me what is missing and whether I should change the cups.conf file in both computers?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Check in cupsd.conf to make sure it's listening on your local network. Does the Windows machine see it through a Samba share? If so, then it's because Samba is connecting to the CUPS printer via localhost and therefore doesn't breach the security configuration in cupsd.conf.

I had to enable listening on my local subnet to get the Mac (well, any other IPP capable system) to see the Ubuntu shared printer. After that, I recommend installing the drivers from linuxprinting.org, because the HP drivers for OS X don't support IPP properly.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi there,

Yes, it is listening to the local network.. My cups.conf file has the following lines:

BrowseAllow @LOCAL
Allow from @LOCAL

so I think that's enough for the listening, am I right?

I don't have a Windows machine, it is just the Ubuntu and the Macintosh.
I'll update the drivers on the Mac, however, do you think an old version of them could prevent the Mac to find the printer?

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.