iTunes vs Windows Media Player

Reaction score
I just bought a new MBP and I have a few concerns about iTunes. Firstly, I have been using WMP all along, and I really like it and am comfortable with it, but if iTunes can offer more, then I will use it. What is the verdict?

Secondly, I have been told that when you have music stored on your HD, when you import it into the iTunes library, it makes another copy of the music, therefore doubling the amount of material on your hard drive. Is this true? It seems like an awful waste of space to me. What can I do to avoid this? (place it directly into the iTunes Music folder to begin with, as opposed to just in the Music folder?

Thanks for all your help.

Reaction score
There's an option in iTunes Preferences which is "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library"...leaving this unchecked means you have full control over where you keep your music on your HD.

See how you like iTunes for yourself. I can't tell you one or the other is better it's up to the individual IMHO.

I must admit though, I don't go much on iTunes7 and all its glory, but that's just my opinion.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well, the version of wmp on OS X is a super basic version of WMP8 or 9. no playlists, no ripping, etc.

i personally am not a huge fan of itunes, but it does have a lot to offer.

by the way, you can disable the copy option in the itunes preferences, so it does not make a whole other copy (if you want to keep the music where YOU want to keep it - as i do too).

i've tried a handful of other options including:

audion [free and very good, good playlist support, will rip and burn cds too, but not being updated anymore]
vlc [very basic with good transport controls and playlist control]
songbird [actually seems a lot like itunes, still under development and free at this time]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Personally I think itunes is great, does all the basic file converting I need and the way it handles it's play lists is just great. Just one word of advice, I had a heap of troubles getting itunes 7 to work. Really buggy for me. So I stuck with v6.0.5 And I haven't had a day problem with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I use iTunes for all my audio needs. I've used WMP on PCs, and I can't believe people actually use it.

I have my iTunes configured to organize my music, then I just go back and delete the original files, if need be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Still a Windows user and I have both iTunes and WMP and although I like some features in iTunes especially the cover art/library bit where you can scroll through your albums - like that very much - but when music is playing - the visualisations in WMP are better or at least I've not managed to get iTunes to do anything 'pretty' yet - there is a WMP 'plugin' which allows you to have your pictures rotate and at the same time it appears as though it is snowing - it looks quite good.

However - when listening to music I have to admit that I want to listen to it rather than look at something reacting to the music so although the visualisations in WMP are in my opinion better than in iTunes - it's a non-issue once you've minimised the application anyway.

I guess my big gripe in iTunes is the iTunes Store integration - I don't like been sold something ALL THE TIME. - oh I've just seen that you can disable the store - oh - ok then there is no difference - they are both great applications.

Oh and I like that you can tell iTunes not to include items that are in your library when playing in shuffle mode.

After all of that . . . Now I've figured out how to disable the store - I like iTunes better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
I am still a Windows user (still waiting to buy OS X) and I love iTunes on my XP machine.

I use it mainly for music and podcasts. Its use of gracenotes is great as it means my 200+ albums don’t need to be categorised and I don’t have to sit there entering in names of albums and tracks.

The album artwork feature is great, although I have no idea how much this takes up on my HDD.

I download a lot of video and audio podcasts and it is very easy to do so with iTunes.

I don’t buy music through the music store but I know people who do and they love it and say the catalogues and tracks available are great (both main stream and lesser known stuff).

I doubt you would find more albums or podcasts in one place as the iTunes music store is huge.

I live in the UK but I have heard that you can download TV shows and Disney films from iTunes US store now too (for a fee) and this sounds great. Really do hope this service makes its way to the UK and I can buy UK and US TV shows.

It also syncs well with Front Row (according to Apples website).

Not to mention it syncs with my iPod.

I don’t use it to watch video I have made or recorded, I use other apps like WMP and VNC (the latest version of VNC is available on a Mac).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
RNDdave, I couldn't agree with you more! I have NEVER understood the appeal of the visualization stuff in WMP - I *listen* to music, not *watch* it!

I have always assumed that it was another one of those generational things. I don't "get" music videos either. I want to listen to my music, not watch it.

Am I alone in this? We know from the "age game" poll in the Community Information Center forum that somewhere around 15% of us are perhaps a little older than some of the rest. If you are not disturbed by revealing that you too belong to this demographic, what do you think? Do you like music visualizations? Do you really need a music video to enjoy the music?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i use the visualization in WMP on my work pc. but i always stick to the ones that are "graphic eq" type displays, mostly "ocean mist" like this >

361382298_66ce882752_o.jpg

actually was kind of nice to see when something is recorded a bit too loud or soft so you can adjust the volume before adding to a mix cd or something. though now i use audion or vlc mostly at home, so i just have to rely on my ears for that now. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.