Who/What keeps stealing my RAM?

Reaction score
I just switched from an XP system to a mini and I have to say I am extremely happy with my decision. I have had my Core Duo system for about 2 days before I upped the memory from the 512 to a 1 gig/256 stick combo. I have been watching the activity monitor since turning the newly upgraded system on yesterday and when it first came on I had almost 1 gig free memory. When I finished with it at the end of the night I was down to 650 free doing nothing but Safari browsing. Today after some WoW patching I notice I barely have 150 free. I am running nothing, I have removed all ram sucking programs that I would never use. I just find it odd that I have a steadily deterirating memory problem even though it is running just as fast as it was when it said I had a ton of free memory.

I suppose the question is does the mac have a tendancy to hide what it is using ram on or is the activity monitor just lying to me? Anything to reset or clear? Any help would be great even though I'm not even sure this is a real issue.

One other thing, I notice my Virtual Memory size is steadily growing, any way to adjust this or clear it out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.0Ghz(CD)/512/80/128MB VRAM/15"
Step 1 - Steal RAM
Step 2 - ???
Step 3 - PROFIT!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just remember that OSX uses RAM very differently than XP. When I first set up Jaguar and later Panther I was at first shocked when I looked at the Activity monitor, but once I found how OSX used RAM, all was ok.

That above thread is excellent and explains things very well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.