help? with my mini

Reaction score
i have a mac mini and starting today for no reason it turns off it turned off like 5 or 6 times and when i try to turn it on nothing happens for a while i click the power button and i see the power light on but i dont hear the noise that you here when u turn it on. so i keep repeating the same thing a few more times then it comes on. also the times it does not turn on when i see the light if i put my ear up to the mini i hear an small noise. also i have a memory problem but i had this problem for a long time because one min i could have 5gb then another min i could have 50gb and i dont delete or dl anything eather.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
By memory, do you mean hard drive space? How are you determining how much space you have? What's telling you it's up one minute and down the next?

If you have a faulty hard drive, your iMac should still turn on, but won't boot.

Try taking the memory out and putting it in again and see if that makes it turn on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
We'll be able to help you out a little better if you'd use complete sentences and punctuation, rather than a stream of consciousness. :)

What kind of Mac Mini is it? PowerPC? Intel (CoreSolo or CoreDuo)?

It sounds to be a hard drive issue, but at this point there's no way to tell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB
Try resetting the PMU.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Same thing only they call it the SMC(System Management Controller).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
There's no battery in a mini :) (not one you can easily get to anyway)

Zapping the pram and pmu involves a different procedure, and is documented here on Apple's support site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lol, yeah that was silly as I was slightly intoxicated. It's actually the SMC and di you try resetting it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Lol, yeah that was silly as I was slightly intoxicated. It's actually the SMC and di you try resetting it?

Haven't you been warned somewhere about drinking and computing? :eek:neye:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.