tiny CDs for slot load

Q

quackbook

Hi, I have those really tiny CDs from job fairs/college recruitments and I was wondering if I should even consider putting it into my full size slot load disc drive on my macbook? It seems like it will get lost in there and I don't want to risk it!

thanks!

oh btw, the wireless mighty mouse RULES

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Hi, I have those really tiny CDs from job fairs/college recruitments and I was wondering if I should even consider putting it into my full size slot load disc drive on my macbook? It seems like it will get lost in there and I don't want to risk it!

thanks!

oh btw, the wireless mighty mouse RULES

macbooks are not made for those size cd's. im sure it would muck somthing up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I know this isn't a perfect solution, but I use my GF's PC to just disc copy those little CDs onto a standard size disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
if you did do that you would prob have to dismantle the disk drive to get the disk back.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
well that sucks

It's definitely one of the compromises one has to make with a slot-loading CD drive. This is why you don't see them on most computers, however, it is also one of the reasons that Apple is able to make the Macbooks so thin and sleek.

Fortunately, in recent years, manufacturers have been phasing out these non-standard discs (most notably the credit-card and other odd shapes) because they have a tendency to damage or become damaged in today's high-speed drives.

If you really must be able to read these discs, you can always pick up a cheap external USB CD-ROM drive.

Here's an example of one, but I'm sure you can find them cheaper if you look around:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_slc.asp?CatId=476

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It's definitely one of the compromises one has to make with a slot-loading CD drive. This is why you don't see them on most computers, however, it is also one of the reasons that Apple is able to make the Macbooks so thin and sleek.

As a side bonus, they're much less likely to be damaged than standard laptop drives, which expose the entire mechanism, including the lens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.