Driver for multi card reader

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for a driver for a multi memory card reader. The brand is "Officetek", and I got it from eBay. On the box it said it was Mac compatible, but lo and behold - no dice.

Any suggestions for a driver? I have 350 photos to upload from a card and no way in **** to do it at the moment. All suggestions very very welcome!

Cryssie :)

M

MacHeadCase

A media card reader doesn't need any driver. Just plug it in and the media card you slip in should appear on the desktop. It is seen as an external/removable disk. The reader will not be visible if it doesn't contain any card.

Maybe something is defective with the device?

Edited to add:

It is USB, right?

OP
C
Reaction score
Tried that and doesn't show up on the desktop, and yes, it has a card in it. It is USB. I'm sick of PC things!

More suggestions?

(I should mention this: there is a green LED that should light up with operation. This has never lit up. My USB port is recognising that the device is plugged into a USB port, but will not recognise it on the desktop).

M

MacHeadCase

This is a long shot, ok? But worth a try IMO.

Leave your media card in the reader and restart to see if this wouldn't force the mounting of the device on the desktop.

If this doesn't work... I'm fresh outta ideas. :blind:

OP
C
Reaction score
Didn't work. Thanks though :)

Trying Versiontracker, but that's not helping much either. Anyone else got another suggestion?

M

MacHeadCase

Did you try another card in it just to make sure it isn't the card that's bad?

If not, well to me the only solution is: buy another media card reader. New this time.

Maybe another member has another idea, though. But for sure, a media card reader does NOT need a driver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Where are you plugging in the card reader? If you are using one of the USB ports on a keyboard, it most likely won't work. Make sure it is plugged into the back of the computer, into a powered USB port.

OP
C
Reaction score
I bought it new off eBay, it's not second hand. It was sealed in a box with all the CD drivers and cables. It is plugged into my computer, not a keyboard. It came with a note which accompanied the discs which said something about downloading an update from the Mac website (???) I tried and there was nothing. The outside of the box says MacOS 8/9/10.1.2

I am running on 10.2.8 - could this be the problem?

I've tried 3 different cards in it, all of which won't work. Is there a program that will force-mount a volume? Restart doesn't work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
No, that shouldn't be a problem. Hmm, so far not a big fan of this Officetek company. Their website won't let you see their products, unless you are a member, and to become a member, you have to fill out a credit application.

M

MacHeadCase

Ahh! Jaguar was very finicky about mounting volumes, as I recall. That might not help too much this situation either.

This flaw wasn't fixed fully till the last versions of Panther, like around 10.3.7 or something.

And yeah Stretch, I hate those kind of sites where you have to create user accounts just to get what is rightfully yours: essential updates (fixing bugs) on software you bought. Thankfully, not too many of those around. Yet.

Maybe you could try this: Mounty - 1.1.1: the year of the software creation sounds good for Jaguar so it might work.

If not. like I said, try another media card reader. But of course, if the problem lies with Jaguar, that might not change much though...

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
bestbuy's got a new sandisk model for like 13 bucks. works like a champ on my macbook.

might be worth checking into this one and just eating the difference on the bad one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.