• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How long does your mac take to boot?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
Ok so yet again im still unhappy with the way my new mac pro is running (sorry for the endless number of threads i post asking about problems i'm having)

But how long does your mac take to boot up? When i first got my new mac and for a good week or two it was damm quick, turn it on, next im entering password then im good to go.. Now its taking 2 whole minutes just to boot up?!

Now ive been running macjanitor and onyx and my mac has generally been quite good - altho i haven't seen my different in performance between the new mac and my old pc! The only thing that has happened is since my last post of problems is ive plugged in my ipod. My ipod had been dead for over a year so i decided i would see if it will magcally come back to life and it did! iTune restored it and it started working again, but then while putting some music onto manually OSX crashed and i could'nt shut down or anything unless i unplugged the ipod.. So i restarted and plugged it in again and this time itunes crashed as soon as i plugged in my ipod and now whenever i plug in my external hard drive or USB stick etc itunes crashes and OSX freezes for a few seconds. Could my iPod have had something on it thats now infected my mac?

Not only this but the finder on my second hard drive takes alot longer to open up and i can hear rather odd loud noises coming from my tower when things are loading it.

A friend of a friend is an apple tech so im thinking of getting him round to do a complete fresh install of OSX and start over again. i really didn't expect to have so many problems with my new machine, i think i must be jinxed!

My last question is.. how long after you have purchased a mac can you return it if you are not happy with it? and how do you go about doing it?

Thanks guys, you have been a great help this last few weeks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
My Macbook Pro boots really fast! I'm not sure how long but well under 30 seconds.

I think generally you get 14 days to return it for a refund. After that you're covered by a year of Apple Care although that entitled you to fixes and replacements rather than a refund. Can anyone ratify that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Can you start up and tell us what programs are open in Activity Monitor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Do a fresh install(Format & Install) before making any conclusions. Perhaps it is some kind of a software bug.

Sorry to hear about all the trouble.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
17 Seconds from "Off" to Desktop. (PowerMac G5)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
39 seconds from off to desktop. (PowerBook G4)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
14 seconds from off to start up (powermac g5)
32 seconds from off to start up (macbook pro)

Edit: this is the first time I turned my computer off in a very long time... so you owe me for ruining my uptime ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
About 35 seconds from pushing the "on" button to fully functional desktop on my PowerMac G5 (with lots of extensions like Classic Menu, Menu Meters, YouControl Desktops etc.) all loaded and running.

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
17 seconds wow that is quick. So a nearly 2 weeks old mac pro really shouldn't be taking 1 minute 30 to 2 minutes to boot up should it?

Ive attached a couple of screenshots that show what are in my activity monitor after boot up.

Picture 3.png

Picture 4.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Those screen shots aren't all that clear, but I saw a bunch of apps loaded: Thunderbird, MSN Messenger, and likely more. If you are starting all of those as you boot, yes your boot will take longer. I think all of us above are referring to booting as the process of getting from "off" to the state of a fully functional desktop ready to launch apps.

Are you perhaps launching several Rosetta based (i.e. non native) apps as part of your start up sequence? That would slow things down!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
my mac mini boots faster then that, there must be something thst is starting that takes a long time to start.

how would you change what has to start up when you log in

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
all i have starting up on boot is messenger and thunderbird. unless there is other stuff that i dont know about? is there anywhere i can see whats trying to run as soon as i boot up OSX?

It takes over 30 seconds jsut to get to the point that says starting up OSX (or whatever it is that it says, i cant remeber!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Sorry, can you enlarge those screenshots? They're too small to read.

Reaction score
I thought you bought AppleCare. Phone Apple...

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is that my best option to call applecare? i did buy applecare but i cant stand customer service haha

Reaction score
I'd give 'em a ring. Seems daft to pay for it then not use it.

Not that I'm say your daft or anything...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
I don't see anything particularly unusual in there. Rosetta does slow things down a bit, but I've got more or less the same on my MacBook Pro (the MS Office stuff is PPC, as is my Canon scanner software and it looks like maybe you've got an HP scanner [or printer]).

Just the fact that it takes 30 seconds before you get the MacOS logo seems unusual -- on rare occasions I see that too, but it's so infrequent that I don't worry about it.

You get 90 days of free telephone support via AppleCare, and I'd suggest giving them a call. You could always run it down to an Apple store, but taking a desktop there is quite a different story from bringing a laptop :)

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ill give apple a call in the morning and see what they say. Thanks for the help guys

martins - people often call me daft, im used to it :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
my imac core 2 duo takes around 20 secs. not bad !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.