• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

AppleCare After Purchase?

JRV

Reaction score
I noticed that you can buy an AppleCare Plan seperate at the Apple Store. Does this mean that you don't need to buy it with your computer purchase and that you can buy it for you Mac at a later time? If you decide to buy one later do you need to do it before the 1 year warranty is up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Q. Can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime?

A. You can purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime within the first-year standard warranty period. The AppleCare Protection Plan coverage starts from your hardware purchase date (for either Mac or iPod). We strongly recommend that you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan when you purchase your Apple system to maximise the advantages of the plan.

From Apple Care FAQs

So you don't need to buy it when you get the mac but you do need to buy it within the first 12 months of ownership.

Reaction score
Important to note, though, that if you wait 11 months three weeks before buying it, you don't get three years' support from the date you buy the AppleCare: the cover is from the "purchase date of the computer".

Reaction score
Here's my question -- what difference does it make if I buy AppleCare on day-1 or day-90? As I understand it, I already get 90 days of phone support and 1 year of warranty. AppleCare extends both but it appears not to make any difference during the first 90.

Please correct me if I'm missing something regarding the terms. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
there is no benefit or loss of buying applecare at day 1 or day 90. you can purchase anytime up to day 365 but you only get the phone support up to 90

Reaction score
I was extremely fortunate in that I waited until the last week to buy AppleCare and received a replacement iMac in that last week so Apple kindly transferred the AppleCare to my new iMac so I get 4yrs of support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Important to note, though, that if you wait 11 months three weeks before buying it, you don't get three years' support from the date you buy the AppleCare: the cover is from the "purchase date of the computer".

I'm not understanding. If you buy AppleCare just before the 1 year warranty are you saying that you'd only get 1 extra year by using the purchase date as the start? Can't see anyone doing that because they'd be paying for a year that's already past. I think I'm not getting it :dummy: You should at that time get 2 more years = 3 total.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I'm not understanding. If you buy AppleCare just before the 1 year warranty are you saying that you'd only get 1 extra year by using the purchase date as the start? Can't see anyone doing that because they'd be paying for a year that's already past. I think I'm not getting it :dummy: You should at that time get 2 more years = 3 total.

take a look at this:

"The AppleCare Protection Plan is a uniquely integrated service and support solution that extends the complimentary coverage on your Mac to three years from the computer’s purchase date."

http://www.apple.com/support/products/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Right...but no matter how you cut it, you get a total of 3 years coverage (from the date you purchased your computer) since AppleCare is for 2 years of "extra" coverage. Same as an extended warranty. I think we're saying the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yes, you're right. It just extends the warranty from 90 days to 3 years from the date of purchase. So regardless of when you actually get your Applecare plan, it only covers three years from the PURCHASE date.

You're allowed to buy it up to a year after you purchase your Mac. So you're technically without coverage for the 6 months between the end of the 90 day coverage and the last day you're eligible to purchase the plan. The confusing part is that people assume 3 years means from the date of the purchase of the plan when in reality, it's the purchase date of the computer.

Reaction score
If you buy the Extended AppleCare warranty your Mac at the same time, you get 3 yrs of phone support whereas in the initial years warranty you only have phone support for the first 3 mths.

AppleCare Protection Plan extends your computer’s 90 days of complimentary support and one-year repair coverage to up to three years of world-class support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Correct...if you look on the back of the AppleCare box, it shows a graph of how it works. Not confusing at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.