2 problems

Reaction score
1. I bought my Mini in August 2006. I bought the 60gb model. Right out of the box it only had about 37gb of free space, which really ****** me off. I have since downloaded some music and lots of photos on to it. But all together they only take up about 10 gb. My brother has some music and videos under his own profile, but they barely take up 5gb. As of today, my Mini says I have 933mb left of free space. I really don't understand how this is possible. What can I do to free up some space?

2. I was trying to make a picture cd. When I inserted my blank cd into the drive it did not read the cd. Nothing came up on my desktop. It will not eject. I tried restarting the computer and holding down the mouse button, using the disk utility, along with 3 or 4 other methods that I found through the search function. I am using a non apple keyboard, so I do not have an eject key. The cds that I'm using are Imation 700mb 80 min cds. I've made music and picture cds successfully before with this brand. I don't understand why its not working now. Any tips?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Does it say 60Gb anywhere on the label on the box? It sounds like you have the 40Gb model to me!

Reaction score
OS X and iLife take up a lot of space, but they shouldn't take up 20GB. I agree with the suggestions made above, run one of the space analysis apps to get a better idea of what has chewed up your drive space.

As for the stuck disc, is it making any noise? Is it trying to spin? I worry that perhaps you have a warped disc stuck in your drive. Follow this link for a variety of methods to eject:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20041011075232575

OP
M
Reaction score
Well I freed up about 12 gb of space. I use limewire to download my music. Its saves into a folder. iTunes then automatically copies all the files into the iTunes programs. So In my folder I had 6gb of music and another 6 gb of copied usic in iTunes. So I deleted the original files and left the ones in Tunes.

As far as the cd goes. It came out after i rebooted teh computer. I tried to make another picture cd using a brand new cdr. It began to bunr the info to teh disk, but froze at 79%. So now that cd is stuck in the drive. Uh:radioacti

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
OS X and iLife take up a lot of space, but they shouldn't take up 20GB. I agree with the suggestions made above, run one of the space analysis apps to get a better idea of what has chewed up your drive space.

As for the stuck disc, is it making any noise? Is it trying to spin? I worry that perhaps you have a warped disc stuck in your drive. Follow this link for a variety of methods to eject:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20041011075232575

A full install of iLife is about 10gb, and a full version of OSX is close to 10GB also, so I can see having a install out of the factory being 20GB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.