upgrading pismo to panther . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac27, iPhone4
Greetings all,
I'm new to this forum and this is my 1st post. I have tried searching for related info., but have not been able to find too much. If these questions have already been dealt with, please accept my apologies for asking again, but I have not had much luck as of yet. Anyway, what I am trying to figure out is the best way for me to upgrade an older pismo to panther. I also have a 1.42ghz mini running panther. The questions I am hoping someone can help me with are as follows: 1) Can I use the OS X install discs that came w/ the mini to install panther on the pismo, or is that disc only good w/ the mini?, 2) Can one upgrade from OS 9.2.2 directly to 10.3? 3) Should an install go over 9.2, or does the HD need to be formatted and the install go onto a "clean" drive? 4) Is there a way to install panther while keeping 9.2.2 and creating a dual-boot system, by which either OS can be accessed? Please forgive such a long-winded post, but I'm not too tech-savvy and can use all the help I can get. Thanks very much for any advice one has to offer.
-Jeff

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac27, iPhone4
Greetings all,
I'm new to this forum and this is my 1st post. I have tried searching for related info., but have not been able to find too much. If these questions have already been dealt with, please accept my apologies for asking again, but I have not had much luck as of yet. Anyway, what I am trying to figure out is the best way for me to upgrade an older pismo to panther. I also have a 1.42ghz mini running panther. The questions I am hoping someone can help me with are as follows: 1) Can I use the OS X install discs that came w/ the mini to install panther on the pismo, or is that disc only good w/ the mini?, 2) Can one upgrade from OS 9.2.2 directly to 10.3? 3) Should an install go over 9.2, or does the HD need to be formatted and the install go onto a "clean" drive? 4) Is there a way to install panther while keeping 9.2.2 and creating a dual-boot system, by which either OS can be accessed? Please forgive such a long-winded post, but I'm not too tech-savvy and can use all the help I can get. Thanks very much for any advice one has to offer.
-Jeff

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
No, the mac mini install disk will not work, you need to get a full install of panther or tiger.

You can install 10.3 on top of 9.2.2 for a dual boot.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac27, iPhone4
Thanks very much for the info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.