Who has taken their MacBook Pro in for service for the high-pitched buzzing sound?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
mine only does it when im in xp, so thats not covered :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
what whining are we talking about, what revision do you guys have? mines new as of 2 weeks and i haven't heard anything

OP
M
Reaction score
what whining are we talking about, what revision do you guys have? mines new as of 2 weeks and i haven't heard anything

My MacBook Pro is one of the original models. I would hope the new ones are no longer shipping with this error since they are aware of it. If yours did it, you would hear it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive
since you said it goes off with the lcd back light, it is probally just hte light humming, lightbulbs do hum sumtimes, idk if the light in a comp should or what not but i do know they do??? any possibility?

Reaction score
This noise will drive you insane, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwweeeeeeeeeeee.
Kind of like that.

I have to wear headphones at work sometimes to drown out the wwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
I am sure happy mine is not one of the whiners ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
Guys, you need to call apple. They will fix this problem with very little trouble. Its a well known problem with the main logic board. Just call them up.
I got this fixed a while back. Am I right in assuming that you all have the core duo version?
-d

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powermacG5 2.3ghz 2gig ram running logicpro7
i did have a noise but mine started every time i pluged the mains in took it back and they fixed it in 1 week.

if you bought yours from the shop and isn't a top spec they will let you lend you one till yours is repaired.

T

todd51

The high-pitched sound for me is whenever the adapter is plugged in. If it's running off of the battery it doesn't make the sound. Mine hasn't really gotten louder either, so I'm just not going to worry about it.

OP
M
Reaction score
After 2 hours with the Genius messing with it, no luck. They said if I bring it back tomorrow they will ship it away to be fixed.

edit: Update: Talked to a different guy today, he shipped it off to have the logic board replaced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D 1G 15"
mine only does it when im in xp, so thats not covered :(

I doubt XP is "causing" the whine (it's only the user's of XP that whine :D , just kidding, couldn't resist).

Seriously though, it is probably hardware causing the whine. It may be that you only "tax" your system enough when you are running XP. If it is not out of your way to visit a Apple store to show them, it is worth the trouble I would think. Just running XP does not void your warranty (I'll leave that for others :bone: )

Reaction score
Slightly related but not Mac, my IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad (work provided) started having the high pitched noise. It was there only after I installed the internal IBM wireless card myself (I'm an authorized technician). It is very noticeable and very annoying. I have since disabled the card since I now have my Macbook Pro and use that at home. The other IBM notebooks I have at work don't have this high pitched noise and I have double checked my connections. /befuddled

OP
M
Reaction score
My MBP is already fixed and on its way back to me. It should be here in 2 days. I am kind of surprised with the quick turn-around on it. Almost makes up for my bad experience at the Apple store...almost.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.