• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Looking for a GOOD pc forum...

Reaction score
Well, I do have a MBP, and when I need help with that, I come here. This forum is has been amazing! BUT...I also have a this Compaq that I'm having problem using wireless internet and such. I would like find a forum that has the kind of support that this one does. Very friendly and fast replies! Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
OP
G
Reaction score
thanks for all the options! Now I gotta see if I can get this networking problem figured out on my Compaq....I knew there was a reason (as if I forgot...haha) I switched to MAC....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
thanks for all the options! Now I gotta see if I can get this networking problem figured out on my Compaq....I knew there was a reason (as if I forgot...haha) I switched to MAC....

What is the network problem you have having on the compaq? Just solved that the other day for a client.

OP
G
Reaction score
well, i'm running a dell desktop off a modem, and the modem is connected to a Linksys router. There is a hard line going from the router to my macbook. that isn't the issue. I recently acquired a Compaq laptop, bout 3 years old and I was looking to get wireless capabilities with it. So i went and picked up a $60 Linksys Wireless Card for the Compaq. Popped it in, got it all installed. I cannot get onto internet through wireless. I do however get the status of the wireless connection to come up and it says its connected. I have the status icon in the lower right hand corner as a green set of waves which means it is connected. But when I click into IE, I get the dreaded "page cannot be displayed". I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to this Compaq and Windows XP.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So the Macbook is hooked up Wired to the Linksys Router. Have you set up the Wireless in the linksys router? If so do you have encryption like WEP or WPA turned on with a Key? If so let me know so I can help. If so you also have to set up the WiFi on the Windows Laptop the same way.

OP
G
Reaction score
OK. there is a hard line going from the router to my AirPort Extreme. This is what I use for my macbook. I am able to access that wireless with my MAC just fine. I can also access the linksys router upstairs from time to time wireless if I need to. i have never hooked my macbook up to a hard line since I've had it. so...I guess with that known, I'm trying to get my Compaq wireless capabilities to work. I have not messed with anything with the router yet. Im pretty sure that for the linksys router, there isn't any kind of encryption, as there are no passwords and such for that network. Although, I do have WPA on my airport extreme for my mac that does require a password. Thing is, when I take my Compaq near the Airport, it recognizes it, but unless I have the airport turned off on my mac, there are no open spots for me to connect with the Compaq. Once i turn my airport off on my mac, I am now able to connect with the Compaq. It connects just fine with great signal...but I get the message on the Linksys screen saying "There is connection to the source, but there is no connection to to the internet". NO IDEA what that means. I still get the "you're connected" symbol in the task bar and the signal is great. Just keep getting page cannot be displayed in IE. I had a Dell Desktop at one time, bout a year ago. I had a wireless usb card for that at one time, and I was tapping into Linksys with it...worked fine, no errors. This makes me believe that its maybe my Compaq? Ummm...IE problem maybe? Drivers? I JUST got the wireless card, so you would think those drivers are good right?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you open a command prompt in XP and type in ipconfig /all and let me know what that says with the Compaq connected wirelessly to the liksys?

Trying to see if the Linksys is giving the Compaq an IP address. If the Linksys is set up stock the IP should be like 192.168.1.100 (The last number might be different like 101, 102 etc and there should be a Default Gateway of probably 192.168.1.1. Let me know if you can.

OP
G
Reaction score
ok, again bare with me. command promt is "RUN" right? I go to Start, Run and type in ipconfig /all i get a little black window that pops up for a split second and then goes away. When I'm connected to the wireless from the Linksys router, and open the status. Under "Link Information" it has a title of Infastructure Mode and it says "You are connected to the access point, but the internet cannot be found"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
ok, again bare with me. command promt is "RUN" right? I go to Start, Run and type in ipconfig /all i get a little black window that pops up for a split second and then goes away. When I'm connected to the wireless from the Linksys router, and open the status. Under "Link Information" it has a title of Infastructure Mode and it says "You are connected to the access point, but the internet cannot be found"

Go to Start -> Run and type in cmd and hit enter, then hit the ipconfig command

OP
G
Reaction score
ok, I got into the ipconfig from the command promts. IP Address is 192.168.1.102. The Default Gateway is 192.168.1.1. DHCP is enabled and Autoconfiguration is enabled. Is there something else you would like to know that i'm seeing?

OP
G
Reaction score
UPDATE: Ok, for some reason, after I went into the ipconfig on the command prompt....its working. I have no idea how, I didn't change a thing. I looked over at the wireless card and there are two lights, one for power and one for link. The power was always on of course, the but the link never came on. Now its on and flickers. I'm guessing that means I have a good connection to wireless?

UPDATE: Well, its intermittent as far as a good connection goes. Even when the IE works, the Linksys status page still says you are connected to the access point, but the internet cannot be found. Looks like I can access IE, but the connection cuts out often. Well...what the next plan of attack?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, I got into the ipconfig from the command promts. IP Address is 192.168.1.102. The Default Gateway is 192.168.1.1. DHCP is enabled and Autoconfiguration is enabled. Is there something else you would like to know that i'm seeing?

That all looks right. Interesting it just started working. Let us know if it keeps working!

That is the exact info I was looking for.

Opps, missed your other post. Will think on it and get back to you. Does the Compaq work elsewhere Wirelessly?

OP
G
Reaction score
i was gonna try my wireless that I have coming off my AirPort Extreme that I use for my mac. I'll update this post once I do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.