trackpad issues: worn out or what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
g4 ibook
hey there
my 2 year old powerbook G4's trackpad recently started behaving irratically -- clicking 2 or 3 times for every single-click, sometimes not registering clicks at all, stuff like that. I'm thinking it's maybe just worn out or something, but figured i'd ask if anybody else had seen this kind of thing, and if so if there's a way to fix it.

most appreciated and whatnot
stacey

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
hey there
my 2 year old powerbook G4's trackpad recently started behaving irratically -- clicking 2 or 3 times for every single-click, sometimes not registering clicks at all, stuff like that. I'm thinking it's maybe just worn out or something, but figured i'd ask if anybody else had seen this kind of thing, and if so if there's a way to fix it.

most appreciated and whatnot
stacey

I can't say that I've encountered this with an Apple product yet, but I see it all the time on Dells. I work as a network admin and have about 100 Dell notebooks. It seems that as they wear, depending on how clean they're kept and how often they're used, they start to behave erratically.

I would check out http://www.ifixit.com, they should have the parts you need if you feel comfortable disassembling your Powerbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 (alluminum)
No Click Or Not To Click?!

I'm having click issues with my trackpad. ie: when clicking or double clicking a page back, it seems to go back multiple pages as opposed to a single click. Then when trying to go forward, i end up going back forward too often. I HAVE adjusted the settings in Systems Preferences>KeyBoard & Mouse>Trackpad, but I am still having these issues. It seems as though the issue just happended overnight and has lasted a week now which is driving me nutz! Is this a regular isssue with my Powerbook G4 (aluminum)? Dirt underneath maybe? Is it that much of a risk to open this badboy up and give a clean? If you have any advice twbg.

Note: (i am using the actual 'clicker' to click-NOT the trackpad itself).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.