Model updates for Macs

Reaction score
Someone should know this!!

Been thinking about getting a macbook on the cheap whilst i'm still a student and doing that sad 'add to my basket' thing on apple store for my dream set up. I know, it's sad.

Anyway

They've had the same spec for a while now with the macbooks and it would annoy the **** out of me if they changed the spec soon after i bought one

Anyone know how often they change the memory setup- i don't want to buy one only for them to upgrade it

any ideas out there??

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
Well they upgrade the specs in October ish, so I doubt it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
No one knows.

Is the machine going to be good when you get it? Yes.

Is it going to be good even if something else comes out afterwards? Yes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
So they only update the line annually?
Can I hold you to that??
No, they don't... so you can't hold anyone to that. Apple updates their systems and products as they acquire or finalize their technology. This could be once, twice, three times a year... or not even at all in a year.
There is no way of telling when nor is there any reliable "historical" or schedule for their updating.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
No one knows.

Is the machine going to be good when you get it? Yes.

Is it going to be good even if something else comes out afterwards? Yes.

That's an excellent point and one I've made in other threads as well. If you're always waiting for the next update, you'll be waiting forever. Technology progresses at a furious rate. Keep in mind that the machine you bought will continue to do the things you bought it for long after it is superceded by a newer model.

Reaction score
I actually bought the core duo macbook, a couple of months after the c2d came out. Best thing I did. Not only did I get a great deal ($800USD) for a refurb white 2.0 ghz, but as a bonus they sent me a model with the 80GB HD, and 1 gig of ram. I love this macbook. It's fast, reliable, and a dream to play with.

I used to want the lastest and greatest, but only go disappointed a few months later when something better came out.

Now, I just buy what I need, and forget about the rest. I'm sure in a couple of years, i'll end up replacing it anyways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Actually, the Core2Duo chips weren't available for Macbooks till mid-November. So it's only been about 2 months since it was last updated. The CoreDuo Macbooks came out back in April or May, which means they updated the line about 6 or 7 months later.

I would have to say you'll be just fine if you purchase a Macbook right now. The only upgrade you should really expect from now till the summer is Leopard, which is officially slated for "Spring 2007" though from some places I've been hearing March.

Reaction score
I really appreciate this guys. I was worrying a bit about taht whole thing. Because I want to buy a Macbook pretty soon here. I am planning on ordering it tonight if possible. But I was worried about hardware updates etc. Aslo, I didn't know if I should wait for Leopard and such. But, as for Leopard, I am a switcher, so I dunno anything about eiter Tiger or Leopard so I am not gonna worry about it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I really appreciate this guys. I was worrying a bit about taht whole thing. Because I want to buy a Macbook pretty soon here. I am planning on ordering it tonight if possible. But I was worried about hardware updates etc. Aslo, I didn't know if I should wait for Leopard and such. But, as for Leopard, I am a switcher, so I dunno anything about eiter Tiger or Leopard so I am not gonna worry about it.

I wouldn't worry about Leopard. It will be a long time before it's as stable as Tiger. There are a number of interesting features, but none of them earth-shattering or "must haves" in my opinion. I will likely continue on with Tiger for about 6 months after Leopard is released just to give Apple some time to work out the kinks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.