Connecting ADB Dongle to B&W G3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Dual 1.8 GHz OSX 10.3.9, G4 OS 9.2.1, B&W G3 350 MHz
Hi All,

I am new to the Forums having just acquired a B&W G3 350 mHz running Mac OS 8.5.1.

I got this Mac mainly for playing old favourites like Apeiron and Maelstrom etc., but I have also loaded IsoDraw 4.01, that uses a Security Dongle, onto it.

I have a question concerning connecting the IsoDraw, ADB in-line Dongle. I have borrowed an iMate ADB-USB converter plugged into the keyboard but, using this, the dongle isn't seen by IsoDraw due, I think, to the fact that the Dongle needs to have a line in and a line out.

Reading these Forums, I see that the B&W G3 has an ADB port on the rear and I wondered if I can just connect an ADB mouse, with the Dongle in-line, into this port and disconnect the USB mouse from the keyboard or would I have to use an ADB keyboard with the mouse and Dongle attached to it for it to work? I can get an ADB mouse and keyboard no problem.

I assume I would need to disconnect the USB keyboard/mouse whilst the ADB setup is in use.

I hope this all makes sense and thanks in advance for any replies.

Rob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
On my B+W G3, I have problems using USB powered items as well. If I try to use a USB flash drive, many times it gives me an error, but sometimes it works. Go figure. You will probably have the best luck just using the USB's on the back, vs. the adapter. If you don't have enough ports, you might try a USB hub with external power, not USB powered. And also, could the dongle be USB 2.0?

I don't know if that helps at all, but I tried :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for replying to my thread but the problem is, I'm trying to connect an older piece of kit that has the ADB connections in and out, to a Mac that has USB connections.

I think I will try and use an old ADB mouse and keyboard along with the Dongle and plug it in to the single ADB on the rear of the machine and forget about any USB converters.

By the way, I too have problems when I plug my USB Flash Drive into the keyboard. It gives a message 'The USB Device "Unknown Device" cannot operate because it needs more power than is available' ?? Might be different if plugged into the rear of the Mac but I've used all the USB ports up anyway.

Thanks again,

Rob

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi All,

I have managed to sort this problem by using an ADB mouse, with the Dongle attached to it, and then plugging into the ADB port on the back of the Mac.

Works a treat.

Cheers, Rob

Reaction score
By the way, I too have problems when I plug my USB Flash Drive into the keyboard. It gives a message 'The USB Device "Unknown Device" cannot operate because it needs more power than is available' ?? Might be different if plugged into the rear of the Mac but I've used all the USB ports up anyway.
Rob

I had the same problem with a card reader. Get a powered hub. Gives more usb ports and solves the not enough power problem.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that cradom. I will give it a shot.

Cheers, Rob

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.