soda spill onto keyboard

Reaction score
I'm sure you must get these all the time, and I'm sorry to add to them, but I am desperate.

I spilled coke onto my iBook G4 keyboard. My iBook was on when it happened and before I could shut it off the screen went crazy on me, it looked like a fuzy TV screen.

I was able to shut it off, unplugged it, removed the battery. I took the keyboard off and dried it. Removed the airport card, and there was liquid underneath it on my hard drive (not a lot and I was able to get it off with just a q-tip).

I know I'm suppose to let it dry upside down for at least 24-48 hours. I guess I'm just wondering what people here think, is my computer toast? Is there anything else I should do?

Thank you!

Reaction score
I'm sure you must get these all the time, and I'm sorry to add to them, but I am desperate.

I spilled coke onto my iBook G4 keyboard. My iBook was on when it happened and before I could shut it off the screen went crazy on me, it looked like a fuzy TV screen.

I was able to shut it off, unplugged it, removed the battery. I took the keyboard off and dried it. Removed the airport card, and there was liquid underneath it on my hard drive (not a lot and I was able to get it off with just a q-tip).

I know I'm suppose to let it dry upside down for at least 24-48 hours. I guess I'm just wondering what people here think, is my computer toast? Is there anything else I should do?

Thank you!

G'day comatisedheart & welcome to Mac-Forums.

http://mij.oltrelinux.com/ibook/cleaning_keyboard/

The above link takes you to a page telling you how to clean an iBook after a spillage. I'm still searching and will edit this post when I find more info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Thank you!

in my opinion you have done everything right so far.. all you can do wait. Let it air dry for a few days then turn it on and cross your fingers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
See if you can also get a can of compressed air and see if you can blow out any spots where any liquid could pool.

I would recommend leaving the laptop in a warm area of your house for longer then 2 days, maybe 3-4 at least.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.