• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

(HOAX on EBAY) Selling a POWERBOOK - Box

N

noirluispher

So yesterday I was trolling Ebay checking out the deals on Powerbooks. And low and behold, I see one for $550. Thats right the ad said this:

New Apple 17" G4 Powerbook Box, 1Ghz, 60GB, 512MB

Now keep in mind that 12 people have bid on this. So I continue to read the auction and he clearly states that you will be bidding on a Brand New Powerbook BOX.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2791126862

I just had to email him to be sure, This is how that went: (Start at the bottom)

My follow up statement: You are a genius!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Sat 3/6/2004 3:43 PM
To: noirluispher
Subject: Re: Question for seller -- Item #2791126862

His reply: It is just a box...

On 3/6/04 3:36 PM, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> "You are bidding on a brand new 17" G4 Powerbook Box only "
>
My question: > Let me get this straight, are you SELLING an EMPTY box?

People need to read. It wasn't even in fine print!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Seems to me that it isn't a hoax, just someone who knows that people don't read much and applies it to make profit!

OP
N

noirluispher

That is very true.

It is a hoax from the NON-READING Ebayers perspective.

That LUCKY-UNLUCKY winner sure won't have a leg to stand on when he tries to get his money back.

OP
T

trenollet

I'll sell you my iBook G4 933 box for a bargian price of $300.00 with freel shipping!! :) That's $260.00 savings :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
LMFAO!!!

He even shows a picture of the box empty. That's crazy!!! I wonder if the winning bidder is actually going to pay for it.. or what he/she will do when they get an empty box.

lol, that's insane, makes me want to do that with my G5 box, yet, I don't think I could part with it. I love that box, it's so purrty, now I want to bid on the box he's selling :( hhmmm

OP
K

kjellquist

cripes....I have my iBook, iPod, Airport Extreme boxes just collecting dust...I may try this

OP
W

WilliS

wow.... pure genius... of course it is taking advantage of "less than intelligent" people out there on the internet... but oh well, their loss

a fool and his money is soon parted

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well that is kinda funny, a bit like the other scams there are. BTW the buyer has not -continued- the buy part of it as of tonight... Imagine that... but I feel kinda bad for him... but reading!! :p kinda his own fault... I rarely bother to look at ebay, I know I can easily make a grand off my Amazon parrot if I wanted!

OP
V

Violence

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2995073481&category=47103

lmfao

OP
R

Root

to state my ebayer's opinion, it isnt a hoax. if they buyer gets what the description said, it is perfectly within ebay rules. In fact, i might even try it myself.

OP
S

s3pt1k

BE WARNED:
I have a friend that was burned on a G5 purchase by a gent who is crating multiple accounts, fake acutions, and giving himself feedback. My friend lost $2000 on a "presale" of G5s from a "reputable seller". The seller is VERY slippery, appears legit, and is currently under investigation not only be eBay's Safe Harbor, but the FTC and the FBI.

Also note: I have talked with my local Apple store and a local authorized Apple agent. It has been estimated that over 50% of all Apple auctions on eBay are fraudulent or involve stolen equipment. IMVHO, the ONLY way to go when it comes to Apple's on eBay is using escrow.com.

OP
N

noirluispher

50%!? That seems a little high. Do you really think, that Apple's security is so "SLACK" that it allows so many computers to be stolen? I don't. I believe that percentage is considerably lower, like maybe 10%. All you have to do is check out the sellers history - Feebacks, and then check out the peoples Feedbacks who left them. That should, along, tell you that it's nothing more than an authorized reseller. More than likely, a reseller that's connect to Apple.

OP
N

noirluispher

BTW, I bought my Apple on ebay, using paypal. Have you checked out how much money it cost to use ESCROW? That's very expensive. Trust me, I was somewhat apprehensive about buying from someone, but I actually called him at his house. In fact, we spoke on the phone pretty much everyday for a week (the time it took for the Powerbook to arrive). I was real comfortable buying it, mainly because of the interaction we had prior, during, and after the transaction. I would highly suggest that anyone that purchases expensive items EBAY, to get personal with the other person. And if they still feel that it's a fake or fraudulant auction, they can back out.

OMHO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
tonedogg said:
I keep looking for a feedback from either one but nothing has come up.
There is still the continue button for the winning bid! I wonder what's happening?
:D

Reaction score
Probably those stolen computers were not stolen to Apple but a end users who bought them from Apple and latter their computers were stolen

OP
S

s3pt1k

noirluispher said:
50%!? That seems a little high. Do you really think, that Apple's security is so "SLACK" that it allows so many computers to be stolen? I don't.

I didn't make that statistic up and I didn't do the estimating, so no I don't "really" believe it; that's just what I was told and I'll believe Apple dealers over you any day. Also, of course Apple wouldn't let that many computers be stolen. NEWS ALERT: Apple actually sells computers to other people.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.