upgrading my processor g466/ sonnet to duel 1.8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
digital audio G4 /466
Hi there,
now I've finally got osx tiger fully installed and working ..... working beautifully I do say. I need to upgrade my processor. I'm using a music program called Digital Performer by Motu and it's very hungry. I can't move up to a G5 as I need to get more time from my sound card( motu 2408) which will only work with this model without a lot unessesary expenditure.
www.macupgrades.co.uk seem to be in line for my coins
at ( £433.57 including vat)
Anybody seen anything better priced out there ?

Lots of Love and Peace from Cornwall. David.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It's a shame you have to stick with the soundcard. £433.57 + the price of your G4 and monitor on ebay and you could buy an original 20" Core Duo iMac from Jigsaw.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
g5 quad 2.5ghz, ibook g4 1.33ghz, g4 867ghz
i agree with alexis, save your money for a better mac, i guess the issue is the motu's pci card won't work on a newer mac (and requires a machine with pci slots) but in the long run buying this upgrade does not make economic sense. i'm sure i've seen early g5's going for under £500 on ebay . .
good luck!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
digital audio G4 /466
I appreciate the input but ?

but it doesn't answer my question ..... again. The Motu sound card would be as expensive as a second hand g5.

It's ok to say you don't know ... ok .

Reaction score
Do you really need dual 1.8? Try looking for dual 1.6 or 1.2. The 1.8 are really too expensive considering the bus speed of the G4 is going to make hardly faster than a 1.6. Even a single 2ghz would be good and way cheaper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I appreciate the input but ?
but it doesn't answer my question ..... again. The Motu sound card would be as expensive as a second hand g5.

It's ok to say you don't know ... ok .

You asked "Anybody seen anything better priced out there ?" and we gave you our opinion rather than saying nothing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.