• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Handbrake problem, DVD to MP4 rip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've been trying to rip Talladega Nights from DVD to mp4 using Handbrake, but it only rips like the first 30 seconds of the movie, even when I select the title thats over 2 hours long. It's only with this movie too, I've successfully ripped several others using this same program. Anybody have any ideas how to fix this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Could it have some sort of copy protection that Handbrake can't get around?

Reaction score
I had same problem recently..

with an Elton John concert DVD. It only ripped the opening 20th Century Fox intro and that's it.

Reaction score
The problem is unique to Talladega Nights

I've ripped and encoded about 70 DVDs using HandBrake and Talladega Nights is the first and only DVD where I've had that problem. I got around it by skipping the first "chapter" on the "title" that the movie was on. I lost the first four minutes of the movie but fortunately that was only Ricky Bobby's flashback anyway.

I didn't check the entire DVD but my hunch was that they put the first few seconds on a separate title to give trouble to people who are ripping and encoding the DVD.

Reaction score
yes i've recently had the same problem with some releses of Sixth Sense and King Kong. Movie studios have started encrypting the Studio Titles at the very start of the movie, and Handbrake and Mac the Ripper have difficulty getting around it. Sakud's solution is the only one im aware of currently but no doubt there will be a better solution crops up soon enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Exactly, so what you're asking to do is illegal which is against our forum rules. We do not allow discussion of bypassing encryption or other illegal activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.