XBOX 360 on a Macbook Pro

Reaction score
I just got an xbox 360, and I want to play it on my Macbook Pro and or my 20" cinema display. This is because I'm at a boarding high school and we aren't allowed a TV, so I'm stuck playing it through my computer. I was thinking about buying a small flatscreen TV and just saying it's a computer monitor, but I think it would be expensive than the computer option.

So far, I've heard of two options for doing this, and I really don't know which is better. First is the X2VGA 2. In this option, I believe I just need the box, 60 plus shipping, and a DVI-VGA converter, which I may already have. I've heard good things about this, I'm just hesitant because I feel like there is more to it than I know.

The other option using the eyeTV Hybrid which just connects through the USB port then directly to the xbox. I've heard that this system has lots of lag and makes it unplayable, and I've also heard that the hybrid works well for games, just the others don't. This is 150 compared to the other, but I'm not sure it would suit me better.

Any help is appreciated, I'm really stuck on this one.

Thanks,
Patrick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You need the VGA out for the 360 - only $40 and should be available at most electronics stores - picture here - http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360vgahdcable/

Then a VGA to DVI cable. Connect the sound also and that's it.
This would be the preferred connection to a monitor such as your 20" cinema and no need for the computer here.

To use the eyeTV Hybrid, you woud be connecting the 360 using either composite (worst) or s-video (not as bad) and you would suffer a loss in video quality compared to VGA. You also will now be needing to run the 360 and your computer together. This connection will use this cable to connect to the eyeTV - http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360svideocable/

OP
M
Reaction score
For this converter to VGA, how do I set up the audio. You simply say connect, but what type of cable do I need. If you don't mind, could you find it from best buy online? Thanks!

Also, does anyone know if the needed VGA->DVI cable is included with all mac computers?

And if I do I need any extra cables for audio, or is everything included?

THanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
For this converter to VGA, how do I set up the audio. You simply say connect, but what type of cable do I need. If you don't mind, could you find it from best buy online? Thanks!

Have couple of questions and I can get you pointed in the right direction.
First, due to your location, I assume the 360, the MBP, and the cinema display will all be on the same desk (or at least close proximity).
Are you going to connect the 360 direct to the cinema display or get the eyeTV and go through the MBP (or both)? If I know all the equipment you will have, should be able to put together a list of all the cables/adapters you will need.

If going direct to the cinema display - what are you planning on using for speakers? Need to know if you have a stereo receiver with speakers attached or just some powered computer speakers - and by brand and model # if you know (some computer speakers have proprietary connections).

Just as an FYI: The MacBook Pro at highest volume setting is still pretty quiet. It is just "OK" in a quiet room for game playing, but you will find yourself dissatisfied if you're watching a DVD or playing a game in a room where you have roommates carrying on converstaion or listening to music or something. (This could be just me as I have had 5.1 surround sound connected to all devices I listen to including my main computer for years and I'm an old hippy rock'n'roller and ex-musician. Believe music is meant to be listened to matching the volume at which it was originally played.)

Note: MBP does not come with any cables except power cables.

OP
M
Reaction score
I plan on just connecting the 360 to the cinema display, not using the eyeTV. Currently, I have no speakers, so I would be interested in buying a set, preferably from 50-100, so what do you recommend there? I have a single, and if we were in the room playing, it would be the only thing happening, so maybe I could get away without speakers, I don't know.

I also feel like I might have a VGA->DVI at home because some of the other apple computers I have always come with a cable that looks like it could possibly be VGA->DVI, so I'll have to check.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here are the speakers I think I would recommend. These Bose are at the top end of what you want to spend, but do have some advantages which I will get into on the cabling side. Have 2 audio inputs and a headphone jack for your after lights out gaming sessions. They also do not have a sub-woofer, but am guessing you are probably limited on space any way.

There are a lot of computer speakers out there, personally have had good success with Cambridge / Creative Labs for the money. You can check out more at Circuit City web site - always lots of reviews - read the good and the bad reviews and you'll find something right for you.

Connections next post.

For purpose of this will assume you have the speakers from above. You can always make minor adjustments if not.

Of course, power should be off on all devices while doing anything with the connections.

Connecting the XBOX 360 - using this method only the 360 and the monitor will be on - the 360 will display on the monitor - the MBP is not involved here and can be used separately

1) Use the VGA cable to connect to the Xbox 360.
2) Plug a VGA to DVI adapter into the 360 VGA cable
3) Get a DVI cable (should be able to get one of these for about $30 at Radio shack - do not splurge on Monster Cables, you do not need them)
4) Plug the red and white cables from the 360 into one of the pair of inputs on the speakers.

Turn on the monitor, turn on the 360, turn on the speakers - You're ready to game.

Connecting the MBP to the monitor - the 360 is not involved in this setup whatsoever - this is to have your MBP desktop displayed on the monitor

1) Disconnect the DVI cable from the 360 and plug it in to your MBP.
2) Use the mini-plug cable supplied with the Bose, plug the red and white end into the 2nd input on the speakers, plug the mini-plug into your MBP.

Turn on the display, boot up the MBP, turn on the speakers - You're ready for watching DVD on your monitor. (You may have to adjust the resolution of the monitor using System Preferences - when you open Displays - you will have a display window on both the MBP and the monitor. Move your mouse from one screen to the next to adjust the MBP and the monitor with the window on it's own screen.)

That's all there is to it for the cabling side.

Note: If you already have a VGA to DVI cable and want to use that, you will just move the VGA to DVI adapter to your MBP instead of the 360.
Also, using this single cable should be easier to move and less expensive than having 2 cables, 1 for the 360 and 1 for the MBP and having to change out the connection on the Cinema display.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks a ton for the help, that explains it all. Most everything is shipped, just waiting for it to arrive. I'll let you know how it turns out. I think I'm going to buy those speakers as well.

I'm having some trouble, I have all the cables, I plug the vga-dvi into the macbook and I get nothing. The computer is detecting a VGA display, but I've fiddle with the settings and I can't get anything to appear. I've tried mirroring it, unmirroring, changing resolution, but I can't get the xbox 360 screen up, it's just still my desktop.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Need more info.
From your brief description above it sounds as if you are connecting the 360 into the MBP with the DVI to VGA cable - if yes - unplug it - NOW.

Assume you are trying to set it up based on my last post above without the EyeTV hybrid - Yes??? If so the Xbox360 and the MBP never have a connection between each other.

Or are you using the EyeTV hybrid??

Re-read my last post above - did a little bit of editing, may help out. If not, post back and let me know if you are using a 1) DVI cable and a DVI/VGA adapter or 2) a DVI/VGA cable and a DVI/VGA adapter. You must have the DVI/VGA adapter for everything to work based on my last post above.

OP
M
Reaction score
What I have is the VGA coming out of the xbox 360 as well as the two audio plugs. This VGA then plugs into a VGA-DVI converter which goes directly into the MBP, there is no extra DVI cable, it converts and plugs in with one cord. The two audio cables then plug into an included converter that puts it to one plug for the line in. I'm almost positive I did it right, any idea?

I forgot to also explain that I no longer think I can use the cinema display. It doesn't have a VGA or DVI input, and to connect it to the MBP, it uses a DVI cord coming directly from the monitor. I figured it was impossible with the cables I have, so I'm putting it aside for now. Right now I'm just trying to figure out how to get the xbox 360 up on the MBP screen.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need to unplug the cable coming out of the 360 from the MBP. The DVI port on the MBP is for output only. It does not accept an incoming signal. I do not know if this will cause damage or not, have never done it.

Ok, so the monitor has a permanently attached cable with DVI on the end.

To connect the 360 to the monitor the converter you have should work to connect the cable from the 360 to the cable from the monitor.

When not using the 360, can unplug the monitors DVI cable and plug this in to your MBP for use as a 2nd display.

In order to run the 360 through the MBP, you will need a device similar to the EyeTV Hybrid. Elgato has a couple of others that will also work.

Just realized, with the monitor cable being permanently attached, you probably need a VGA female to DVI female adapter. Only found 1 on a quick search here.

You can try giving Radio Shack a call, but they are not carrying as much of this type of stuff as they use to. Also, try CompUSA, Frye's or the local computer shops you have in the area.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.