Powerbook vs ibook

T

thebluemonkey

Hi everyone!

I'm so happy that I have found this community to help me in my choice!!!

So I'm actually a pc user but my laptop is getting really old and waiting for is retirement and since apple have come up with ilife recently I have been very attracted to mac.

The ilife suite have caugth my attention and mostly because of garage band. So I've been surfing around reading reviews and went to the mac reseller to ask questions. I know the reputation of the mac (user friendly, more turned on digital lifestyle etc....) and my choice of switching is almost done but I've got some questions for you guys before.

1- Is it true that an ibook is tougher than a powerbook?

2- Does an ibook will be fully fonctionnal with garage band (the reseller told me that he might be hard for it to support more than 4 instruments)?

3- Does virtual pc or office will be able to work correctly on an ibook (Actually I am not planning to buy virutal pc soon, but as a switcher I am considering it as a possible option if I can't have every softwares that I owned on pc or if it will cost too much to buy it on mac)?

4- If I max out the ram on a Ibook did i will be able to run apps as smooth (or almost) as I could do on a powerbook?

I forgot, I'm looking for a powerbook 12" without superdrive or an ibook 14" with the 40 gig hardrive.

I'm waiting for your answers and thank's in advance for helping me in my process!!!

OP
S

StarManta

1) For dropping it, yes. For heating, no.
2) If you load it with RAM it should be fine.
3) Yeah, it'll be fine.
4) Pretty close. There are small differences between a tricked-out iBook and a normal Powerbook, but it's one of those "you get what you pay for" situations.

OP
T

TylerMoney

So far, from what I'm seeing...the powerbook is **** strong. I would imagine if you dripped it, it wouldn't be good...but neither would dropping a iBook. But I have friends with iBooks, and the power book just feels so much more study and nice in my hands...or lap...if you get an iBook, max it with ram, and it'll be your best friend...get a powerbook...it'll be your best friend...if guarge band is about the "heaviest" program you'll be running..then and iBook should be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
I'd say go for the iBook - maybe you'll be able to get an iPod too with the savings :)

OP
S

StarManta

Don't misunderstand my post - my Powerbook is a sturdy beast - it's survived a fall from desk height (4ish feet) with just a nick on the corner. :) I think the iBook is a little sturdier tho.

OP
P

pedXing

photoshop?

If i have an iBook (14 inch, 60 gb hd/768RAM) is it possible to run photoshop and/or Flash and Dreamweaver MX? because i make websites, and do some small time graphics...I do all my major stuff like modeling and intense photoshop and flash and dreamweaver and stuff on my awesome PC, but i was just wondering if i could do some small time stuff on an iBook?

I just wanted to know b4 i decide to buy an iBook over a powerbook...(im short on cash... :D )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9
Quick Question:

Ibook 14" with 1.25gb ram and Radeon 9200 32mb vs Powerbook 12" with 768mb ram and Geforce 5200Go 64mb

Which is better for gaming, I'm guessing the Powerbook because of the increased bus speed and more powerful video card. But in any case, they both still suck at UT2004. Correct?

Man Apple needs to get the G5 powerbooks to actually play UT2004 at more than 30fps. I'd like to see a x800 mobile in them, that'd be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
PowerBook. I play UT2004 on mine and its speed is fine with mine.

G5 PowerBooks won't be out until next spring or summer probably

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9
trpnmonkey41 said:
PowerBook. I play UT2004 on mine and its speed is fine with mine.

G5 PowerBooks won't be out until next spring or summer probably
Fine to you and fine to me may be two different things. What kind of framerates are you getting? There's a benchmark in the folder for UT2004, run that. Or in a game just type "stat fps" in the console. Not sure how to access the console on a mac, on a PC it is the tilda button (~), usually above tab.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.