Anyone using OpenOffice? Need help!

Reaction score
Hello guys. I'm a college kid here and I am trying to find a good word processor without having to purchase Microsoft Office. I have downloaded OpenOffice but I'm having a few difficulties. I know you can set the margins at the tops and side of the page by using the sliders. I know that you can go to page setup in Microsoft Word and set it to one inch margins with no guessing. I can't seem to find this in OpenOffice. Anyone have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hello guys. I'm a college kid here and I am trying to find a good word processor without having to purchase Microsoft Office. I have downloaded OpenOffice but I'm have a few difficulties. I know you can set the margins at the tops and side of the page. I know that you can go to page setup in Microsoft Word and set it to one inch margins with no guessing. I can't seem to find this in OpenOffice. Anyone have any suggestions?

G'day jparker0201 & welcome to Mac-Forums.

I use NeoOffice but as it's almost exactly the same as Oo.o, I looked into it for an answer to your thread.

Place the mouse cursor at the point where the ruler starts/ends to re-adjust the margins vertically/horizontally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
The setting you're after is in Format -> Page and click the Page tab. Sorted.

OP
J
Reaction score
Ah, thank you guys so much! I had figured out moving the slider but that still left me guessing somewhat.

And for some reason I guess I never made my way to the Format----Page option...Thanks again!

OP
J
Reaction score
Another question for you guys.....When doing the header I need it so it will automatically number the pages....Am I blind and over-looking this again or is it hidden a little better?

Nevermind, found it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
The OpenOffice help file is very comprehensive and there is a downloadable manual available at openoffice.org. It's probably a good first point of call. Most things are in 'sensible' places but some things (like page formatting) are in a different place to, say, Word.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.