Music transfer onto ipod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
After 1 year of my ipod being dead its comes back to life and is working - wooooo - but i have 60gb of music and only a 20gb ipod so want to put the tunes onto it myself rather than sync but how do i do this? I thought i could just drag and drop music from my libary into the ipod section in itunes but its not letting me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
After 1 year of my ipod being dead its comes back to life and is working - wooooo - but i have 60gb of music and only a 20gb ipod so want to put the tunes onto it myself rather than sync but how do i do this? I thought i could just drag and drop music from my libary into the ipod section in itunes but its not letting me?

Very simple! see the link below:

"Managing content manually on iPod"

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61148

Reaction score
From Apple.com Support Docs:

Manually Add Songs, Playlists, Podcasts, and Audiobooks to Your iPod

If you want total control over everything that goes on your iPod, iPod nano, iPod mini, or iPod shuffle, you can add songs, playlists, podcasts, and audiobooks by simply dragging the content you want onto your iPod icon in the iTunes Source pane.

Show Me How
Disable Auto Update First (iPods with a Display Only)

If you have an iPod with a display and want manual control of your music (this doesn't apply to iPod shuffle users), first make sure that iTunes isn't set to automatically update songs whenever you connect your iPod. If you need to change this status, do this first:

1. Connect your iPod to your computer and open iTunes if it does not open automatically
2. Choose your iPod under DEVICES in the Source pane.
3. In the resulting iPod Settings, click the Summary tab.
4. Choose the "Manually manage songs and playlists" radio button. This will unselect all sync options in the Music, Movies, and TV Shows tabs.
5. If you want to manage Podcasts, Photos, Contacts, and Games manually as well, click the Podcasts, Photos, Contacts, and Games tabs and turn off each of their sync options.
6. Click Apply.

Adding Songs and More

Adding songs, playlists, audiobooks, and podcasts (shown here) to your iPod is a simple drag-and-drop affair.

To add songs, playlists, podcasts, audiobooks, and games to any iPod model, just follow these instructions:

1. Connect your iPod to your computer. If iTunes doesn't automatically open after you connect it, open iTunes.
2. To add songs or audiobooks from your library, choose Library in the Source pane, choose one or more items you want (to choose multiple songs and audiobooks, Command-click items on a Mac or Control-click items in Windows), then drag them onto your iPod icon in the Source pane.
3. To add a playlist (which will also copy the songs it contains if they're not already on your iPod), choose the playlist in the Source pane and drag it onto your iPod icon in the Source pane.
4. To add podcasts, choose Podcasts in the Source pane. Then either choose and drag a podcast title to your iPod icon in the Source pane to copy all of the downloaded episodes, or click the disclosure triangle next to any podcast title and drag any podcast listing to add individual episodes.
5. When you're ready to start playing with your iPod, disconnect it from your computer by clicking the small eject button to the right of your iPod icon in the Source pane. When the icon disappears from iTunes, you can safely disconnect your iPod.

Hope that helps.

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
awesome thanks. been a while since i used an ipod

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i was hoping for a happy ending but no such luck. I managed to manually put my playlists on and a couple of albums but then i got a message saying the ipod cant be written onto and it crashed OSX so i restarted and tried again and this time itunes just froze half way thru copying an album

any reason for this?

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm now its freezing on every song i try to put onto my ipod?. cud this be a harddrive issue?

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
tried by failed... its now in the bin! never really been a fan of the ipod tho tbh!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.