Looking for good external hard drive/enclosure?

Reaction score
I am going to be purchasing two external hard drives and want usb2.0 as well as firewire 400/800 and I want something compact. One of these will be used with my laptop and I want something compact that I can take on the go with me on my laptop case. The other will be used for hard drive backups and I want it small so it can fit inside a fireproof safe.
So far what I'm most interested in is the Lacie Rugged All Terrain drives, specifically their 120gb or newer 160gb drive. What are opinions of this?
Since I'm buying two I"m looking for the best deals I can find. Is it cheaper if I buy a good drive and then a good firewire 400/800 usb2.0 enclosure? Will this save a lot of money and if I go this route what is a good drive to go with as well as a good enclosure? It's important to have these features but be compact as well as rugged.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
I have been looking at these options also recently. External drives with USB2 and both Firewire 400 and 800 tend to be expensive. Another thing that I find to be very common is that the enclosures by themselves are usually of very low quality. Buying the drive and the enclosure can often be more expensive than buying a pre-boxed external hard drive.

LaCie makes a very good product (as long as you stay away from the Porsche piece of junk), but you pay premium for it. I really like the looks of the Western Digital MyBooks, which have what you want. The prices are good, the build quality is good, and they look awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.