• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

15" vs 17" macbook pro...which should i choose

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to trade my 15" macbook pro in for a 17" macbook pro. They both have 2gb of RAM, but the 15" is a core2duo 2.33ghz vs the 17" has a coreduo 2.16ghz. I've also heard the 17" has a worse battery life than the 15" (which makes sense). On the flips side, the 17" has a 160gb hd vs the 120gb hd.

So should I choose the 17" for the bigger screen and bigger HD or keep the 15" for the *rumored* better battery life and the newer gen and faster CPU?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
For myself personally, I find the 15inch to be the optimal size for traveling and screen real estate. Really the nicest size for a laptop. I have a 15inch pbook and a 12inch and I still think the 15inch is easy to lug around.

What I am saying this might come down to preference. I find the 17inch too big for my daily routine... have you had a chance to carry it around for a moment? Are you planing on taking it everywhere? Does the added size/weight annoy you?

Another thing... you can upgrade the hdd relatively... easy down the road...plus the 120gb *may* be a faster rpm drive... Additonally, you can add an external display to the 15 inch... for a lot more screen space.

The core2duo should also have hidden "n" wireless capabilities... a plus too! The c2d's are nifty... but both machines are plenty capable.

So yeah, I am all about that 15inch. But for some people that big screen is very important.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
What wil you use the machine for?

Reaction score
I would go with the 15" because of the core 2 duo, the better battery and the newer gen... and that 17" is the first gen 17", so there is bound to be problems...

OH, and Welcome to the Forums!!

OP
K
Reaction score
I would go with the 15" because of the core 2 duo, the better battery and the newer gen... and that 17" is the first gen 17", so there is bound to be problems...

OH, and Welcome to the Forums!!

Thx for the welcome, I have only had a mac for about 2 months, so I still don't know what I'm doing for the most part. As for the use, I boot to mac at work and run work apps (msoffice, term, xterm, etc...) At home I boot to windows to browse internet and play games (mostly FPS's). The 17" would be great for playing games and browsing the net at home. At work, doesn't matter much since i have a 20" external lcd. I'll probably get a chance to play w/the 17" since my 15" power button broke and sunk down into the laptop. It still works, it's just a matter of time until the button slides into it too deep and stops working. They are sending it in to get it fixed, but i have no other desktop, so they're giving the 17 to me as a loaner and possibly keep if i like it.

Back to the being a mac noobie, I love the design of the hardware, but I've still had OSX lock up on me which seems odd since that's opposite of what MAC is all about. Does it have to do with the intel architecture being new to mac? I just imagined it being much more stable. There are a lot of things i like about booting to the mac side, but windows is so familiar to me its just easier sometimes. And windows is so much easier to browse for and manipulate files and browse network shares. Just my 2 cents.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.