Confusing message on reboot

Reaction score
Whenever I reboot, I get a message "System extension cannot be used." The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/AudioIPCDriver.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update. It doesn't seem to affect any audio devices or content, but it is an annoyance. Any suggestions????

Reaction score
G'day hagsfy & welcome to Mac-Forums.

Do you have a Mac Mini by any chance?

Try relocating the AudioIPCDriver.kext file to the Trash, reboot and see if that has any effect on the annoying error.

Don't empty your Trash ... just moving the .kext file there is all you need to do for now.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch Marty for the quick reply. I trashed the kernel ext file and, VOILA!, it has not reappeared on reboot. Should I empty trash? I'm curious...what is the purpose of this .kext, and, consequently, do I need it. FYI, I have a PB G4 1.5Gz. Thanks again, Marty!

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch Marty for the quick reply. I trashed the kernel ext file and, VOILA!, it has not reappeared on reboot. Should I empty trash? I'm curious...what is the purpose of this .kext, and, consequently, do I need it. FYI, I have a PB G4 1.5Gz. Thanks again, Marty!

Great news hagsfy!! Try something for me please. When you next startup your PowerBook, put the .kext file back into /System/Library/Extensions/ and then reboot to see if you receive the error message.

If you have a normal boot then all is fine, otherwise follow the procedure you used earlier to remove the file and when you next start your PowerBook - empty your trash.

I can't really explain what this file is used for or why it's created in the first place but everywhere I looked on the internet, they seemed to be causing system crashes and the like. In your case the fact that it's loaded at startup was causing the error to display.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks again Marty...I put the .kext file back into Extensions as you suggested, and, upon reboot, I got the same message as before; so I'll just trash it for good. I concur with your findings also; everywhere I've looked, I can't get a real answer as to what this kext does, only that it causes problems. Have a great day, Matey, and kudos to you for the help!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.