Total Newb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 1GB 120GB HD...soon to upgrade to 2GB of Ram
ok, so i've been reading these forums for the past week or so. i've decided to register and introduce myself. with that being said... im ordering a new MacBook tomorrow and will hopefully be getting a black, 2gb of ram with the 160gb hard drive.
1. i've read the swither's guide...
2. what other programs would be recommended to purchase from the start?? im gonna be using it for school, music, web browsing and other stuff as i get going.
3. is there a huge learning curve from the windows switch???
4. anyone here live in my area mind tutoring me in the ways???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
some programs i recomend are:

- Quick silver - Great multi purpose app launcher (free)
- iSquint - Video converter (free)
- Shapeshifer if you want to change your themes (20$)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
1. Good. It has helped me with quite a few issues, being a recent switcher myself.

2. I've had my Mac Mini for a month, and haven't needed to purchase anything for it yet. There's a ton of quality freeware for the Mac.

3. Yes, and no. Let Windows go, and don't try and make the Mac conform to your Windows way of doing things.

4. Where do you live?

OP
hairlesswookiee
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry i didnt get a chance to update my profile yet....
can you guys point me inthe direction of the website that lists the mac user groups??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
Just FYI...if you're going to spend like $1800 on a Macbook...you can get a refurbished Macbook pro for the same price. Faster processor, bigger screen, nicer keyboard, better graphics card...the RAM is more upgradable, it has the express card slot, the keyboard is illuminated...

Not trying to sway your purchase if you want the MB. But FWIW, I went through the same thing a few weeks back and I decided to wait until I had the money for the Pro.

Anways...

It's a change, but not huge. I work on Macs at work and once you get the hang of it and kick a few small habits, they make a lot of sense. The only thing that bugs me is how windows won't automatically maximize to take up the whole screen. It makes sense that you'd want to have the display be efficient, but i'm a neat freak and I like being able to cover all the stuff i'm not using with the window i'm concerned with. Other than that and getting creative with the Right click function (there's a few options for this), it shouldn't be anything you'll have a problem with.

-Nick

OP
hairlesswookiee
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^yeah i considered it, but my VA benefits are paying for a new laptop and i think it has to be a new one. to be honest i need the smaller footprint of the macbook, and im hoping that this will be a good experience that will sway me from the windows devil and into the Mac life. right now i just need portability for school by throwing it in my backpack to lug around with me all day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
^^yeah i considered it, but my VA benefits are paying for a new laptop and i think it has to be a new one. to be honest i need the smaller footprint of the macbook, and im hoping that this will be a good experience that will sway me from the windows devil and into the Mac life. right now i just need portability for school by throwing it in my backpack to lug around with me all day.
Well, the MB's are definitely smaller. They actually have better battery life as well...which I was surprised of. Sounds like you've thought it out...I say do it up. You'll have plenty of time to mess around with the thing and figure it out ;)

-Nick

OP
hairlesswookiee
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok one more question.... i want to be able to hook up the macbook to my widescreen. do i need to get a mini to DVI adapter and an optical audio cable???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I would definitely recommend the Macbook if you want portability. I love being able to close the lid, throw it in my bag, and head out in just a few seconds. The fact that it weighs less than 5 pounds is a big plus too :black:

As for connecting to a monitor, yes, you will need a converter, either the mini-DVI to VGA or mini-DVI to DVI. They're not that expensive either. As for connecting audio, the Macbook doesn't have a digital audio out, only a headphone jack. So you're stuck with a 3.5" mini-plug if you want audio from speakers. I just bought one to connect to my TV and for 3 bucks, it works great

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.