Database software for Mac & Windows Mobile

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", MacBook Pro
Like many other posters, I'm planning a move from the Windows world to a Mac, mainly because I've had it with Microsoft over-charging for rubbish software (Vista, anyone?).

I've solved most of the software issues moving from one platform to the other, but one has me stuck -- database software and a corresponding client for Windows Mobile.

You see, I currently run MS Access on my PC and an Access front-end called Data on the Run (DotR) on my i-Mate JasJam PDA/phone running Windows Mobile 5. I need database access while out on the road for work, and having only recently bought the JasJam I'm not in a position to buy a new PDA.

I had though that Filemaker Pro and Filemaker Mobile for Pocket PC would work, but the tech support for Mark/Space's Missing Sync tell me that it is not possible to sync the two programs using their software. HanDBase seems only to offer a Mac desktop client for Palm devices, not PPC ones.

Can anyone offer a solution? Bear in mind, I'm not a database techie and I have no desire to spend hours building a complicated set of forms & tables. The nice thing about DotR was that it was really simple, and I would prefer something just as straightforward.

Thanks in advance!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", MacBook Pro
Looks like there is no way to sync databases between OS X and Windows Mobile.

In my further research, it seems there may be two solutions:

1. Continue to run MS Access under Boot Camp or Parallels, and sync there.

2. Upgrade the database to MySQL under OS X (looks complicated).

Anyone have any experience with ActiveSync for WinXP under Boot Camp or Parallels?

Please let this not be the only barrier to my planned switch!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", MacBook Pro
I should have been clearer -- I know it is possible to use ActiveSync under Boot Camp (and probably Parallels) but is it possible to use it AND use MissingSync under OS X on the same Windows Mobile device?

Sorry to keep adding to my own post!! Thanks for any advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.