• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Microsoft and media players...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
(sorry if this is already been discussed in other thread)
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=AAPL:US&sid=aZdk6J4hbFEg

Reading this article reminded me of an program that Microsoft offered for free as early as 2000. It was supossed to be help transfer media files from your PC to your (still) Windows CE machine, it had the "advantage" of compressing all your music files to WMA format in a very low bit rate and also copied the playlists and organization that you had in your PC. This came with another program that was used to compress video also to smaller bit rates to fit the devices at that time. As far as i remember this was older than iTunes and never had an important marketing, plus the price of memory at that time didn't allowed a cheap, practical use.
Some people started to adapt hard drives to their devices and devices compatible with IBM's MicroDrive started to gain popularity, this reduced the sales for HP's Jornada devices and helped the new iPAQs comaptible with both Compact Flash Card and PCMCIIA.
I read many ideas on how to turn your PDA into a media player, and at the time it was a great idea, but battery life was a big issue and it was impossible to upgrade the media player, i remember many (in the Microsoft hosted newsgroup) said that Microsoft was thinking about a PDA oriented as a media player.
Anyway, i just wanted to share a some thouthgs and memories.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Nice read, thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.