brand of memory matter?

Reaction score
I searched but could not find an answer to my specific question. My wife bought me a 24" core2duo iMac with a 2.33 processor, upgraded video card, and 1 gig memory. She did not increase the memory because that could be done later by me. What a Christmas present!!! My wife is a doll on her bad days. :)

Sorry, I always lose focus talking about my wife.

Back to my question...Does it matter what brand of memory I get? I would not lowball it, but would probably for with Mushkin (always my fav on m PCs), or Crucial (2nd fav on my PCs). Are there any suggestions on the best performing/most compatible brand?

Thanks,
Mikeylee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB
You need PC2-5300 DDR2 RAM. Install another 1GB, equal pairs gives you a performance boost. I would't suggest buying from PC vendors. The factory brand that's installed now is Samsung.

OP
M
Reaction score
SpindleX,

Great, I wanted to keep it the same brand as OEM but did not know what was used! Intel iMacs use laptop memory...correct?

Thanks,
Mikeylee

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks Mattlike! Does that mean you are like matt or that you do like Matt?

I noticed the Macsales.com has OWC brand (new to me) for $100 cheaper than Crucial. Will it going to be as good?

Mikeylee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB
SpindleX,

Great, I wanted to keep it the same brand as OEM but did not know what was used! Intel iMacs use laptop memory...correct?

Thanks,
Mikeylee

Correct, the Intel iMacs, Macbook, MacBook Pro and Mini use the 200pin PC2-5300 RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
As long as it says it's specifically for iMacs, it'll be fine regardless of brand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 1.83GHz C2D, 2Gig ram
I used "transcend" branded 1G modules in my macbook after reading a favorable review online. No issues whatsoever, worked great and was less expensive than the Crucial modules.

I've also used Kensington without issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.