extreme Mac Newb... upgrade VRAM?

Reaction score
Hi everyone - as stated above, I am a total Mac newb... just recently picked up a macbook pro, and totally love it - should have done it a long time ago. One question though - the model I have has an ATI Radeon X1600 w/ 128MB RAM... is it possible to upgrade that to 256MB? Thanks in advance -

John

Reaction score
As far as I know, and this is pretty much true for most if not all laptops, vram as you put it, the video cards that are supplied onto the laptop are generally not user-serviceable. One, the video card/chip is directly on the motherboard, and chip makers don't often/if ever supply these chips in bulk. You may be able to find one online or at a store like Fry's or something, but .. I don't know if anyone has ever been successful in replacing the video chip for one that is bigger.

I could be wrong, but at least in my experience for other laptops, pc laptops this is true, and I believe this is true for the mac laptops and even the desktops for apple (well besides possibly the mac pro).

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
its non upgradable, the only laptop to have this feature was a Dell and the support lasted about 3 months.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.