Airport+Linksys+Neighbors stealing internet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
I tried reading quite a few threads but I couldn't quite find what i'm looking for.
I used to have a powerbook, i used airport extreme to get better signal upstairs & had a network called "tara's network" along with our linksys router downstairs.

When i got my iMac, i retired the airport.
My father just bought a black macbook and wants to plug in the airport in the basement, for better signal. When he did so- Tara's Network came up but the password i remember say's it is incorrect. I'm guessing I just need to make a new network?

Secondly, How can I make it so my imac, my sisters pc, my dads macbook and his other PC are all networked, with a password so my neighbor can't steal our internet anymore? Would I have to be wireless to do this? I need to have the admin. of the network (family members technically challenged)

I hope that makes sense! any help is appreciated. :)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
there should be a way to reset the airport to it's default config.

i'm not sure what you're talking about with the linksys and airport though... are you using one to access the modem to the net and the other as an amplifier?

either way, you should be able to set up wep or wpa so only authorized computers can use the network.

the password you're talking about was most likley to restrict access from the routers settings, not to protect from others using the network.

i'll see if i can dig something up on setting wpa or wep security.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
here's a recent one

post 6 sums up setting the security on the router, post 9 sums making sure you do the sam on the wireless computers (mac or pc).

OP
ambivalent
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
hmmm im not sure really about the linksys and airport either. We have cable- so the modem is attached to the wall and then to the router, which is plugged into a plate on the wall with 3 ethernet plugs. There is ethernet plug in every room- apparently the one by the router is to feed it into the house?

If we could get rid of the linksys completely that would be fine, but yes just trying to amplify with the airport.

The password is one that comes up from airport when you try to connect, im pretty sure i created it that way so it was secure from other people.

but who knows.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
ah... is the linksys not a wireless router?

if so, the airport must be just piggybacking on the wired signal from the linksys. so you should just have to set up wireless security on the airport.

OP
ambivalent
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
umm.... i tried going to 192.168.1.1 but it comes up with "enter name and password" and, nothing i type is correct...

:(

OP
ambivalent
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
no- its a wireless router also. currently my sister and father (and neighbor!) are using the signal off of it.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
is there one of those tiny little inset buttons somewhere on it? something you can stick a ballpoint pen into?

actually, duh...

click here
not sure what model airport you have, but one of these docs should help with a reset...

OP
ambivalent
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
thank you... so i reset the airport and can create a new network with a new password- but then i still have the linksys network seperatly... how do i combine them? or......

maybe it is too late for my brain :\

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
do you know if the linksys is wireless?

if it is, you'll need wireless security on both, and prefferably two different network names, so you know what you're connecting to.

if not, don't worry about it, it's just the hub for the house and anything directly connected to it will reach the net. though it should still have a password so not just any joe schmoe can get to it by going to 198.94.1.1 or whatever it is.

OP
ambivalent
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
yes it is wireless and it does have its own name, already. so two different ones then? alright. ill try to set it up tomorrow, be back with questions im sure! thank you for your help!!!!!!!!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you're still up!

no problem!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
When you reset the Airport, set it up to join the existing network vice creating it's own. There are settings in the Airport setup utility that will allow you to do this and will find and list all the nearby networks. As long as you know the password and security settings from the existing network you can add the airport to it.

If your really worried about security, set up the LinkSys to use WEP or WPA/WPA2 and THEN add the Airport.

OP
ambivalent
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
alright, this is driving me crazy. I reset the airport and tried to join the linksys network. Everything i try and do with the aiport comes up with an error. "there was an error trying to configure 'airport'" etc etc. It see's the airport, connects, creates "apple network 90fu76" but i can't change anything. aaaaaaaaagggggggh im frustrated with this darn thing!

Reaction score
so you have it set up like this;

Cable modem>linksys router>airports? If so,

To get into a linksys router the leave the user name blank and the password is admin. That is stock. You can change it if you need to.

what model is the router?

and you can't get into the linksys router with 192.168.1.1, then you need to do a hard reset on the router as eric was saying. You router has a little button on the back of it, push and hold to for 60sec. After 60sec unplug the power and wait 10sec, then plug it back in. Now the router will be just like new. You will now have to set up your network again.(do it with a computer wired to the router) go into it via 192.168.1.1 and configure how you had it. When you complete this and have access to the internet, on the wired and wireless computers, you will want to go back in and set up wireless security on the router. Use WEP and make you a password, I normally use my phone number, as it is the required amount of digits. But anything will do fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.