New to Mac - Having Issues [Desktop Managment]

Reaction score
Hey guys,

just got a MacBook pro

I installed some stuff like VCL, MacMessenger and Firefox. I put them in the applications like it shows here:

maclol0si.jpg

BUT, i still cant clear up my desktop. It wont let me delete them (when i go over the trash, it brings up an eject symbol)

Can someone please help, thanks you :bone:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
You should be able to drop it on the eject symbol to eject it, then you can drag the .dmg file into the trash.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you can also click the eject button next to it's "disk" icon in the top left pane of finder (as shown in your pic there).

Reaction score
G'day Christos & welcome to Mac-Forums.

Just need to ask you this ... have you successfully installed any of those you mentioned above?

When you download say, VLC ... there will be a .dmg file on your desktop. Double-click on it to mount the volume which contains the app plus a few other files or maybe nothing else at all.

From the mounted volume window you need to drag the app to Macintosh HD>Applications. All this you seem to already know, but I need to retrace the steps.

Once the App is tucked away safely in your Apps folder, unmount/eject the volume by either dragging the volume icon to the trash or you can do as eric and michaelstumpf suggest, it's all the same in the end.

Next, you can delete the .dmg file - or simply store it somewhere else for safekeeping.

Lastly, just navigate to your App folder and click on VLC.app to launch it.

Having done this ... if you still have the aforementioned problems, we need to talk more.

OP
C
Reaction score
And hello to you too :mac:

I finally figured it out. It took me a wile but I did it, thanks to you guys. Macs are very alien to me, I was a windows user from birth, but i like it and I think ill get the hang of it in no time.

My Confusion Story

The "application is already running" so I go and shut them down, then i accidentally put the file in applications first, then hard drive. That screwed things up so I start over the right way this time. Everything seems good and I click on the icon and the stupid disk image comes up again. So i did some thinking and finally came to the conclusion that the icon was probably outdated and I needed to replace the messed up one with the correct icon from applications.

- Chris

Reaction score
i think you're spot on there mate - seems like your icon is referencing the application inside the .dmg (disk image), so it has to mount the disk (stupid white icon) to start it up, instead of referencing the copy in your applications folder.

drag the old icon out of the dock (disappears in a cloud of smoke), then just drag the one from applications into it.

job's a good un.

you should be able to eject the white disk, then put your .dmg in the trash.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.