Web Design Programs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD.
Hello, I am new to Mac and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good web design program for Mac. I use Dreamweaver for Windows but I can't afford to purchase a Mac copy right now. Is there any good cheap programs for Mac?

T

todd51

You could try iWeb that comes with your Mac, I never liked it though, so I just saved up and bought Dreamweaver.

Unless your good at HTML coding and can then just use TextEdit;)

Reaction score
I use RapidWeaver, it's free and simple to use. The demo keeps reminding you to buy it if you're satisfied with it and you can't add more than 3 pages in the demo version.

I initially used iWeb and was just about to upload my website when I realised I needed a .mac account ... well, that was the end of that.

RapidWeaver (click here to download) is very stylish but easy to understand & will tide you over until you can afford something more substantial.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Smultron, ok its just a text editor but that is all you need, if you have the knowledge.

Reaction score
Another vote for Rapidweaver. Not only is it a great program, its support forums are filled with friendly, helpful, and knowledgable people. Rapidweaver is a great and easy program to use. I have Dreamweaver, but elected to make my website using Rapidweaver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Actually, I have to agree with Del and DrQuincy. Learn to code HTML/css by hand and use Smultron or TextWrangler. You can be much more flexible about page design AND your pages will load faster because they have less junk in them.

HTML "programming" is really quite easy. The excellent book "HTML Goodies" by Joe Burns is a great way to learn. This is what I did. I went from knowing nothing about HTML to producing my hand coded web site in about 2 months, with the aid of that book. See:

www.campbell-tx.net

as an example of what you can achieve. Picture galleries, software downloads, editorials, even my "Linux to Mac Switcher's Guide". It isn't a really flashy site, but it is quite effective. The Linux to Mac Switcher'd Guide does in fact border on being flashy. I am quite pleased with it, and it is straight HTML - not even a CSS style sheet.

It really isn't that hard to do. Remember that contrary to what you may hear, HTML is not "programming". It just isn't that tough. It is nothing more than an organized set of formatting directives that you intersperse into straight text. Hence, Smultron and/or TextWrangler, both free text editors, make wonderful tools for this. I actually wrote up the majority of my web site using my own VE text editor, which is available on the site. I did the Linux to Mac Switcher's guide using Smultron - what a GREAT editor!

Anyway, dip your feet in and try it. It is not nearly as hard as it looks, and the book I mention above is a great way to get started. The hardest part of the whole thing, like anything else in life, is just taking the first step!

OP
NeoGreen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the advice. I have Dreamweaver 8. So does that mean that I can install it on my Mac?

OP
NeoGreen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac57 thanks for the advice that book is awesome.

Reaction score
thanks for the advice. I have Dreamweaver 8. So does that mean that I can install it on my Mac?

If you still have the box, look at the box and see if it says universal or shows the windows and mac logo. The CD might say it also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.