Firefox help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD.
Hello I have recently converted to Mac and need help with firefox. I used Firefox when I was a PC user and I decided to install it on my new MacBook. I installed it and it works great my only problem is that when I open it I get a small screen with the Firefox Icon on it and then a small HD looking Icon on my Desktop. How do I get rid of that, since I have an icon on the Dock station? Also when I type ctrl and t I dont get a new tab on firefox, this worked on my pc but isn't working on my Mac. Any advice will help.

Reaction score
This is a graphic of the proper installation of Firefox, or any software that comes without its own installer. After the app is installed, you can eject the Firefox psudo-hard-drive icon, and trash the .dmg file.

Drag the icon out of the dock to kill it because it's probably a shortcut to the psudo-drive icon. Then replace it by dragging the newly installed Firefox icon in the Applications folder to the dock to create the proper shortcut.

Instead of Control-T for a new tab, try Command (Apple key)-T.

OP
NeoGreen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD.
I have tried to move the Icon to the Trash bin and I get an error that states:
The disk "Firefox" is in use and could not be ejected. Try quitting applications and try again. I don't have Firefox browser open or even Safari.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have tried to move the Icon to the Trash bin and I get an error that states:
The disk "Firefox" is in use and could not be ejected. Try quitting applications and try again. I don't have Firefox browser open or even Safari.

A DMG file is a disk image. When you open it, OS X mounts the file like a hard drive. You can then open the program from the virtual disk. If you've already dragged the Firefox icon from the DMG to your Applications folder, what might be happening is that at some point, you executed Firefox and the window is hidden. Check your dock and make sure there isn't a black up-pointing arrow beneath the Firefox icon. If there is, click on it and hit Command-Q to shut down Firefox and then eject the DMG.

If all else fails, rebooting your machine will effectively eject the DMG as it will be dismounted.

Reaction score
With Windows, applications quit when you close the last window. With Macs, they don't, so this might lead to confusion. You have to quit the program with a separate command.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 80GB Hard Drive, Double-layer SuperDrive
You can completely quit an application by pressing: Command(Apple Key) + Q.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
It sounds like you haven't actually installed firefox, and are instead just running it from the .dmg file. The .dmg file is a virtual disk archive. To install Firefox, drag Firefox.app from the opened .dmg to your Applications folder. Then EJECT the .dmg (right click the white disk icon on your desktop that appeared when you double clicked the .dmg and select EJECT). Now drag the .dmg file to the trash.

Firefox is now installed and available in your Applications folder, which you can reach via the SHFT+CMD+A keystroke. If you like it, you can just drag Firefox.app from there to your dock. The existing icons will obligingly slide apart to make room for the new one, and you are done. Now you can launch Firefox with a single click on the dock icon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.