Tune plays well on my Mac but gets cut off on the iPod

M

MacHeadCase

I got a brand new iPod 30GB for Xmas and it's super. There is a song I bought at the iTunes Music Store though that is giving me problems. It plays very well on my iMac but if I try to listen to it on my iPod, it's cut short like there is 2 minutes chopped off or something like that.

I tried deleting it from the playlist that the iPod loads its music from, plugging in the iPod to delete the song. Quitting iTunes. Restarting iTunes and copying this music file again to the same playlist, plugging in the iPod so it copies over the fresh new file but the results are the same.

Is there anything else I can do? Do I need to reset the darn thing or what?

Reaction score
Bit of a kludge, but you could play it in the computer while running something like Wiretap Pro, then if need be (if you are running Wiretap unregistered — that is, free) convert the song back to an mp3 and load that into the iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
:eek: i thought you knew everything MHC!?!?

OP
M

MacHeadCase

There's an idea, Brown Study.

And kman445, I wish I knew everything. I could get myself out this one.
icon12.gif

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Thanks kodorsean, I'll try these procedures and will let you guys know what happens.

OP
M

MacHeadCase

I've opted for the Restore since a simple Reset didn't change anything. I'll let you know how this goes once the process is finished and I can listen to the song on the iPod again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
OP
M

MacHeadCase

Thanks I hope it works. The sound is so good on the video iPod too! I think they improved the sound from the 3G iPod I had. And I love the shiny coloured screen.
icon6.gif

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Update on the situation: even if I did a Restore on my iPod the problem persists.

Here's a twist that I was not aware of. I have authorized some of my songs to play on my partner's iPod 3G (20GB) and that song plays in its entirety on that iPod! So this problem looks like it's either model specific or I have to check on the iTunes version on my partner's iBook just to make sure. Another possibility is the iPod software version that is used on the different iPods...

Anyway, I'll let it go at that. I've done what I could and so far, this is the only tune that does this, not play in it's entirety. Of course, can't say I've gone through all my tunes yet till the end. Sometimes I skip certain tunes "cause I'm just not in the mood that day to listen to them...

So I guess this is a work in progress. :girl:

Reaction score
What happens if you put another song on the iPod? If it plays properly, it would suggest some code error or bit rot in the song that won't play.

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Hi Brown Study! I just bought yesterday a couple of versions of Johann Sebastian Bach's Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major, BWV 1007: I. Prélude and they play fine.

The problematic song is Joni Mitchell's Song for Sharon and like I said earlier, it plays correctly on the iMac G5, on an iBook G4 and on an older iPod third generation. This points to the newer video iPod alone. Either the software that drives this particular model or the way it reads this file or something. Really weird anyhow.

Come to think of it, it can't be the iTunes app version because it plays nicely on the iMac G5!

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Whoah! Those links look promising. Thanks a heap Mattlike.

Yeah I know about the 5 computers authorization thing. I tested the song on the iBook and on the old iPod 3G 'cause I had authorized that Mac. Well hey if this solves it, expect a beeeeeg rep point thingy from me! :girl:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Whoah! Those links look promising. Thanks a heap Mattlike.

Yeah I know about the 5 computers authorization thing. I tested the song on the iBook and on the old iPod 3G 'cause I had authorized that Mac. Well hey if this solves it, expect a beeeeeg rep point thingy from me! :girl:

Hopefully you get he issue resolved. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.