Internet bogged down

Reaction score
i had to get on my PC to post this... but just a few days ago the internet on my mac is REDICULOUSLY slow.

IF it connects, it takes about 2 minutes to load a page. i got it to stumble to MSN, and to the net speed tester and its still apparently connecting at 4500/kbps and my PC which is on the same router runs fine.

and its not just the browser, Firefox, Safari, Mozilla, Opera, all work like Im on a 28.8 connection.

anybody have any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Remove all the internet cache and cookies either using Onyx or any other method. Check whether your firewall is configured correctly. Try a different browser if the system is still slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
novicew has it exactly right. Get yourself OnyX, a freeware maintenance utility and use it to:

1/ run all of the daily, weekly and monthly maintenance scripts. This cleans out all the rubbish that slowly accumulates over time

2/ run all of the cache cleaning stuff - more of the same

Restart and try again. I bet your Mac is MUCH faster after that.

Oh and one other thing. Check your System Preferences, Energy Saver, Options, Processor Performance. Make sure it is set to "Highest". On more than one machine I have become aware of, this has gotten set to a lower setting, dramatically slowing things down.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.