g5 xserve shipping?

N

nearmyth

Does anyone know if these are shipping? i have had a few ordered now through my vendor since they started taking orders and the ship dates have been moving back further and further.

My company has been so satisfied with the g4 sxerve we got i recvd approval for two more. These have since rendered our linux boxes obsoloete due the the fact that you can administer, repair and fix os x server a skillion times faster, easier and more confidently that we could on linux and all file sharing acroos platforms has become a dream. Only think i need help with is getting a cross platform print server working properly on it - Im having a tough time with that and if i was ever gonna beat apple up it would be for providng the worst server documentation i have ever seen, lol. wow i ranted away on a ship date topic - sorry about that.

thanks
+-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
was told 2 weeks... and i'm in hong kong, china.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Woot!!! Xserve G5 has landed, well... at-least in my home... but now i got a little problem with the optical drive, i've inserted the system disk, after installing everything and a restart, it won't eject. Anyone one know how to 'manually' eject it? or is that another trip to the apple dealer? :-(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I did it another way. Restart the server, Press and Hold the Eject Key or F12... sometimes you need to do it twice before the disk pops out.

Managed to persuade my local dealer to exchange the faulty unit for a new one... now i'm just waiting for them to get more stock of G5 Servers... in the mean time i'll play with this one. hehe...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Any special plans for it on line seeing as it's a server? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
run my domain... without impolite ISP's demanding the removal of certain items of the ftp site.. they are so annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I see! I hear that!

OP
N

nearmyth

well finally got them in late april -

I finally got mine in the last week of april. Luck has since then bestowed on me and I know manage 4 xservers in house with a few dell servers.

Using the macs as primary domain controller with web based admin pages for the dell sql servers - thus saving my company over 20k in MS licensing fees, etc for windows 2k server and sql seats.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's "MS licensing fees"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RIPP OFF!

What? You spend money on a Quality PC and then they charge you extra for the OS? I'd rather meet with some street vender, imagine all the doe i could save! You could by a G5! And the OS comes in the Box!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.