wireless router questions?

Reaction score
Hi All..

New to Mac, and new to networking.. hope that the process goes smoothly.. Anyway, I've read good reviews regarding the Linksys WRT54G series routers for my MacBook.. I also see that there is a WRT54GS that supposedly has a "speed booster" built into it.. Will this technology help me with a new MacbooK? I don't mind spending the extra 2-30 for the faster connection, but don't want to if it won't matter..

I'll be connecting the router to a PC with Verizon DSL internet service hooked up to it.. Thanks for any advice you can provide a fledgling mac newbie!

John..

Reaction score
The linksys is about US$50 . . . the "old" Extreme is about 2.5x that, and the "new" Extreme (just announced) is $180 at Apple.com.

I bought an Extreme and love it, but I needed the network printer option so that made its price more reasonable (after adding the price of a wireless print server to the linksys).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
Your purchase of a Linksys Wireless will be fine, I have one and am connected to the internet through it on an iMac, Linux pc, XP pc and a MacBook. Router works great.

Reaction score
speed booster only works when you have the speed booster router and Nic/adapter. And I generally think of it as a way for linksys to get more money for the same product. It maybe faster, but you will never know the difference. Save some bills and just get the wrt54g not the wrt54gs.

If the wrt54g ever gives you any problems you can flash it will DD-wrt firmware. which is much more reliable and more customizable than the linksys firmware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.