Clearing 'all' caches...

pod

Reaction score
I clear the cache in Safari but I notice there are other cache files on my mac. Without downloading any extra software, is it possible to clear all the other caches - just to keep everything running sweet... how? Thanks

Reaction score
I clear the cache in Safari but I notice there are other cache files on my mac. Without downloading any extra software, is it possible to clear all the other caches - just to keep everything running sweet... how? Thanks

If you're comfy with Terminal, then you could run some scripts from there to clean your system.

Here's some info to get you rollin' (Look for the "Procedures for manually running the maintenance scripts" link near the top of the page.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Contrary to popular opinion, "cache" does not mean, "File that must be cleared out to prevent your computer from exploding."

Caches serve a purpose. Typically, make your computer faster. Unless you can explain to us why a particular cache needs to be be cleared, I wouldn't mess with it.

For example, "It's taking up half a gig of space" is a reason. "Because it says 'cache'" is not.

Reaction score
The Safari cache is monstrously bad. I've had it bring up old pages on this forum instead of current (live) ones, especially when I use the "previous page" button. It's also caused me trouble trying to upload multiple versions of a file all with the same name ... once the updated file is on the server, the cache shows me the old one and I think the ftp program didn't work.

OP
pod

pod

Reaction score
todd, I've had that same problem with Safari too... bringing up old/last viewed/previous versions of a web page...

Reaction score
Wow I just rebuilt my Spotlight Index and woah it's fast and nice and all now :) Me wuvs me spotlight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have had the same cache issue with Firefox as well as Safari ... having it bring up old versions of changed pages. I am not sure what causes it to miss the change, but I am guessing this may be a common problem across many browsers. To overcome it, I have Firefox clear its cache every time when I exit the program, and I manually clear the Safari cache quite often.

I guess you just have to learn to live with these peculiarities. Nothing is perfect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.