Just Switched to Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
I am an IT Manager who has been in that line of business for 15 years now. It has been all PC except for a 2 year gig at a publishing company. It was still mostly PC but the gear that was used to do actual design was Mac.

I hated the Mac with the only reason being that I was a PC guy. I became a little more interested in Apple once I finally jumped onboard and bought an iPod. My birthday was this past monday and I bought myself a Mac mini and I love it!

Still getting used to it but I really enjoy using it. I get my fill with PC desktop, laptops and servers at work. When I get home its ALL MAC BABY!!!

Has anyone here settled on a different browser then Safari? I am really not crazy about it and I'm curious what Mac users are using the most.

OP
egandolfi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
I'm an idiot! There is a poll on the web browsers right in the OS X App & Game forum.

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. I've been using Camino as far as browsers go.

Reaction score
I'm running Firefox as my main browser, with the add-ons/extensions Adblock, AniDisable, Clear Private Data (which makes that command available with a right-click), CustomizeGoogle, DownloadHelper (flv movies — YouTube, etc. that VCL plays), FasDic, Full Screen, Menu Editor, Mouse Gestures, MR Tech Local Install, Ook, OpenBook, PrefBar, SmoothWheel (can't live without it), Tweak Network (pipelining) and User Agent Switcher. These are permanent; others come and go.

Firefox and it's add-ons make Safari look 19th century; the customizing apps available for Safari are kludges and complicated in comparison to Firefox add-ons.

I also have Mozilla's SeaMonkey loaded, but I seldom use it. However, it accepts SmoothWheel and one or two other Firefox add-ons, and I pipeline it with tweaks to the proper default settings by typing about:config in the URL strip and hitting return. SeaMonkey's email app is handy, too.

I also have iCab. Of all these, Safari is my last choice. I can't remember when I last ran it. Camino is fast, but SmoothWheel is a no show with it, so I trashed it.

I still use OS 9 and boot into it (I have a G4) rather than running it through OS X's Classic. There are only two browsers worth using: iCab for OS 9 and a third-party version of the Mozilla suite, by WaMCom, that has the version number 3.1. OS X's Firefox, SeaMonkey, and WaMCom's Mozilla 3.1 in OS 9 use the same bookmarks text files, so I use AppleScripts to move the most recent from the last browser used to the others.

Strangely enough, the OS 9 browser accepts a couple of Firefox's add-ons, so SmoothWheel resides in it, too. It's pipelined, as well.

T

todd51

I started out on Camino, then went to Safari, then switched over to Firefox and have been using it ever since.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I've tried Safari, Camino, and Shiira, but in the end, I'm sticking with Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.