Closing Safari Windows From the Dock

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Black MacBook Core Duo 1.25 GB Ram 80GB HD
Hi, I was wondering if there was a way to close minimized safari windows, by right clicking on them, from the dock so you don't have to maximize the window then close it. It doesn't give the option to close when you right click it. Thanks! :)

picture1ty6.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
If you look at the Dock closely you will see that Safari appears in two locations.
1) Docked Safari application(with a triangle at the bottom indicating that its active)
2) Minimized Safari window.

You can close Safari by right clicking the Application not the minimize window.

Reaction score
Hmmm . . .
For me, if I click on 'Quit' from the Safari dock icon, it closes all Safari windows.
How can you close a specific one from there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
ya, i've wondered this too. Not quitting just closing the windows while minimized.

Reaction score
G'day renegade,

If you mean you have several Safari windows minimised and wish to only close certain ones ... then you need to activate tabs in Safari>Preferences>Tabs ... place a tick next to "Enable Tabbed Browsing".

Then you can close any tab you wish or all but the active tab.

If you meant how do I close minimised windows ... then I would use Command+Tab to cycle through the apps and bring them to the fore, then press Command+Q for each open app.

Another handy tip if you have a group of windows open from the same app, or say several Get Info windows open - press Option then click the red button to close the whole group at once.

Reaction score
At the risk of hi-jacking AnthonyKJ's thread, and maybe confusing the issue . . .

In my case, I run Virtue Desktops, and often have multiple Safari windows opened, and on different desktops. I don't really want them tabbed in that case, because they are on the desktop I want them on based on web site.
From the Safari application icon in the dock, I can 'right click' the icon, and see a list at the top of the pop-up bubble of all my currently open Safari windows across all desktops. What I can't do from there is selectively close one of them. I can only 'command-Q' or 'Quit" to close all Safari windows.

OP
AnthonyJK
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sorry for not being clear. I didn't mean to close the safari program, just the window that is minimized. I really prefer not to used tabbed browsing and was wondering if there was a plugin or someone that would allow me to close a minimized safari window from the dock. Thanks!

OP
AnthonyJK
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is not possible I'm guessing?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i got what he was saying from the get go, but i'm not sure if it can be done. if you don't get a close option when right clicking the minimized window (not the safari icon itself of course), then i'm not sure.

i'd go with what pulse-8 is getting at though. if you use tabbed browsing, you won't have to worry about that as much, since you'll only usually have one actual window open.

by the way, welcome to the board Anthony!

OP
AnthonyJK
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you =). Thats a bummer I really prefer not using tabbed browsing but I guess I'll live haha!

Reaction score
dock settings

setting prefrences>dock>untick minimize windows into application icon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.