5th Gen differences

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Hi there,

I just received my new warrantied iPod 30 gig video in the mail. The questions I have are since I bought the iPod in may of 2006 and they changed to the new brighter 30gig with better vid resolution, how can I tell which one I received: a new old stock of the original 5th gen or a new 5th gen? Are there new menus or features etc..? It's hard to tell the difference in birhgtness when I dont have the other one to compare it to.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Hi there,

I just received my new warrantied iPod 30 gig video in the mail. The questions I have are since I bought the iPod in may of 2006 and they changed to the new brighter 30gig with better vid resolution, how can I tell which one I received: a new old stock of the original 5th gen or a new 5th gen? Are there new menus or features etc..? It's hard to tell the difference in birhgtness when I dont have the other one to compare it to.

Thanks in advance

Mark

"Fifth Generation iPod (Late 2006) (also known as iPod with video)

You can distinguish the Fifth Generation iPod (Late 2006) from the original Fifth Generation iPod by the last three digits of the serial number. The Fifth Generation iPod (Late 2006) serial number's last three digits will be one of the following: V9K, V9P, V9M, V9R, V9L, V9N, V9Q, V9S, WU9, WUA, WUB, WUC, and X3N. The Fifth Generation U2 Special Edition iPod (30 GB Late 2006) serial number's last three digits are W9G."

the only differences between the "old" and "new" 5th gen ipod videos are the brightness and there is a search function on the "new" 5th generation ipod video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
"Fifth Generation iPod (Late 2006) (also known as iPod with video)
the only differences between the "old" and "new" 5th gen ipod videos are the brightness and there is a search function on the "new" 5th generation ipod video.

none of which are worth it to me. i usually turn the brightness OFF. you almost have to on these 14hr ipods.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
none of which are worth it to me. i usually turn the brightness OFF. you almost have to on these 14hr ipods.

I have the "old" 5th gen ipod video and I agree with you. both make very little difference to me.. the brightness would be nice but its something I can live without.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ZorroAMG, were you able to figure out which Ipod you have?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.