OS X Window Focus Behavior

Reaction score
Hi, I'm wondering if there's a way to change the way that windows focus when you click on them. Why is it that when an app window is out of focus, I have to click it once to bring it into to focus and then click again on whatever it is that I'm wanting to click. It's like if a window is out of focus, you have to click twice just to get where you want to go (clicking a link in firefox, for example).

I'm used to using Windows where even if a window is out of focus, a single click will bring it into focus and click a link\button\select text\etc. all at once.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Well, first off, you can't change it. Second, think about it, Windows was intended to be a 1-window at a time system through their "awesome" maximize feature. So they never thought about this. What if you just wanted focus of another window and accidentally clicked on something. I'm happy that OS X handles it this way, that way, it's clear to me which window I'm working on right now and I know I can't do mistakes all over the place. So it might be a good thing.
Remember, Windows and OSX are different. There will be stuff you need to get used to.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yeah I understand that, but as of right now it's a little frustrating because I'm trying to chat and surf at the same time and switching between the two windows is requiring way more clicks than would seem necessary. I just wish I could click on what I see without having to first waste a click switching focus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Yeah I understand that, but as of right now...I'm used to using Windows
:black: This is exactly why it is frustrating for you, but remember, you made the choice to get a Mac. :black:
Try your hardest to forget about Windows while you are using the Mac. Much of what you learned and were used to doing in Windows makes no difference when you are using a Mac.
It is different. It will take time to get used to it but, the sooner you forget about Windows, the easier it will be to get used to using a Mac and the quicker you will learn the ins and outs of OS X.

OP
T
Reaction score
Haha yes I bought the mac so I could learn OSX. To me it just feels counter-productive so I had to ask. I will get the hang of it before long!
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Command-tab and Command-~ might help, too.

Reaction score
I agree with OP, this method demands more clicks, and doesen't solve anything. I've been on mac for almost a year and i easily get used to how it works; however i find this annoying. Clicking something by mistake in an unfocused window is a risk (ha ha) i'd take.

Also, are you positive it "can't be done"? I've seen a lot of interface tweaks via the terminal, this seems like something doable though i don't have the expertise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I agree with OP, this method demands more clicks, and doesen't solve anything.
Sure it does. From a post prior to yours:
What if you just wanted focus of another window and accidentally clicked on something. I'm happy that OS X handles it this way, that way, it's clear to me which window I'm working on right now and I know I can't do mistakes all over the place. So it might be a good thing.
+1 I lose time on Windows because I have to carefully choose where I click in order to avoid unintended behavior. I'm better off traveling down to the task bar and selecting the window, even though I can see the edge of it behind another open window. I can't abide full screen in programs that don't require it, like Word for instance. Even on those that could benefit from full screen, like AutoCad, I still leave some of the desktop showing. But I have a very large screen to work with.

Reaction score
Half the times I click an unfocused window is to follow a link, select some text, etc.

On the other hand I guess with time I'll get used to doubleclick a window to perform that action. Kind of sucks that there doesen't seem to be a way to modify the behavior.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.