Creative Zen -> External HD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
I was digging around the other day and I found my old MP3 player, a Creative Labs Zen Nomad. Yeah, the thing is a brick, but it was reliable. Long story short, I got an iPod, and don't need my old brick anymore. Does anyone know of a way that I could use it as an external Hard drive? When I plug it it via USB, it isn't recognized as an external drive like it is in Windows. I found a program called XNJB that I could use to throw data onto it, but I would like it to show up in finder and on the desktop. I know this is a long shot, but any thoughts?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
the old creative players, i'm sure, even some of the new ones, needed a proprietary software to act as a hard drive, or even to load songs using a simple file browser. maybe rockbox has some software to make this happen? eh, just looked and seems not.

that one may actually have a regular 2.5" drive. i wonder if you could rip it out of there and put it in a regular usb/firewire enclosure.

if you were really interested in this possibility, i'd suggest checking out the forums on anythingbutipod.

if you're going to find your answer anywhere, this'll probably be it.

OP
Jeff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Well, I guess for now I am looking for software options. My dad bought me the longest extended warranty that the store offered, so once that is up, I have no problem tearing into it. Thanks for the linkage though...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.