seems like my function keys aren't working...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
All of the sudden it seems like the function keys aren't working. Like the volume control, contrast, etc. Nothing seems to happen when I push any of them (F1...F5), but from there up they are doing the normal shortcuts (dashboard ect comes up)

I wonder if some setting got changed, but can't figure out what.

Thanks!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
try holding down the Fn key for a few seconds, then release and try the function keys again. i think that 's the toggle...

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that didn't do it...

That didn't seem to have an effect. What should I be even looking up in the help menu?

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
partial solution

Okay, if I hold the Fn key down the volume and contrast keys work. But I have to hold Fn. I didn't used to and I want to fix it. Clearly something got changed. Any other ideas about how to get it back to the original setting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
maybe go into system preferences>keyboard & mouse and messing with settings in there? ive had some mixups with my keyboard when i installed some programs which mapped hotkeys with macs hotkeys.. that seemed to work for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Go to your System Prefs and either check or uncheck the box that says 'Use the F1-F12 keys to control software features'

Picture 2.png

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go to your System Prefs and either check or uncheck the box that says 'Use the F1-F12 keys to control software features'

YEAH!!!! You did it! THANK YOU SO MUCH! That was really driving me crazy! (forgive the gratitious use of exclamation points.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.