• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

your favorite games

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
what's your favorite genre of game?
Action (GTA style) I also love the Silent Hill Series.
what system do you use most for gaming?
At the moment it's the DS and PSP, my PS2 hasn't seen much action for quite a while now and the portables are much more convenient for me (I play them while my girlfriend is watching rubbish - That way we can still spend time togetherO:) )
Currently playing:
PSP - Test Drive Unlimited. Really cool driving game that gives you a whole Hawaiian Island (1500km2 / 1600km of open roads) and cool online play.
DS: Hotel Dusk:Room 215. This one is basicly an interactive noir/mystery novel with some puzzle solving thrown in and well worth checking out, I recommend everyone takes a look.
what are some of your favorite games?
GTA San Andreas. Simply amazing.
Silent Hill series.
ICO.

As for game experiences I remember playing the top-down GTA's and all the rumours of there being a cheat to play it in 3rd person...wishful thinking... then having my 1st play on a friends GTA3 and being completely amazed and rushing out to buy my own. I'd also have to say I felt absolutely spoiled when San Andreas came out, that entire game was a great experience.

Lastly, anyone who played the original Tomb Raider will remember the level (I think level 3) when you just ran quietly into a large clearing to see the screen start to shake and see an immense (as I recall) T-rex running toward you. I personally found that to be a genuine shock and very impressive.

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
a lot of the original tomb raider was like that. entering these huge rooms with that spooky music was, at the time, a wild experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
It also seemed to span the generations too - I initially heard about it from my mothers friend who had "stolen" it from her son and become obsessed. My girlfriends mum, i've been informed, was also a big fan. On second thoughts, maybe it was just middle aged women who liked it...

Reaction score
a lot of the original tomb raider was like that. entering these huge rooms with that spooky music was, at the time, a wild experience.

One of my all time faves because of the sheer 'size' of the game. I bought PS One just to play it and I remember losing hours of sleep to that game. Funny thing was I had a couple of mates who came over late night with food and drink just to watch. The adventure and the atmosphere were really encompassing. I rarely find that sense of immersion with new games atm. I think we're used to the experience and not much evolution has happened for a while.

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you need to try shadow of the colossus. ;)

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
holy cow!!!

i just found something that's going to alleviate my only real minor regret with going macbook (instead of mbp or wintel) due to gaming...

sim city DS

it looks really pretty fantastic, and will most likely run far better than SC4 on my mb.

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
so what is everyone playing now?

i recently picked up and finished legend of zelda: phantom hourglass (ds)- it was very good.

i'm playing a lot of FFXII on the ps2 now. got it last xmas, played it a bit and got sidetracked. picked it up again last week and have really gotten into it. the new battle system is much better than any previous FF game imho.

i also did pick up the ds sim city game. it's actually surprisingly good for such a small screen and limited resources. one complaint, you can only have one city going at a time. if you try a new one and save it it will overwrite your last city.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
At the moment I am playing Zelda on Wii at a friends place a lot. It's really good. As Metroid Prime 1-3. Also Starcraft 2 to me look really good. That is the one game I can't wait to play.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
Eric, FFXII is the first in the series since 7, that I actually played through. Although not perfect, I thought the new fighting system is a lot better than the old school turn based system.

Since finals are coming up, I have more time to play video games now... well the time that I have really should be used to study, but I'm using it more importantly on video games.

I've beaten Call of Duty 4 twice, playing Assassin's Creed at the moment (awesome game by the way). I also picked up Oblivion for the 360. I liked it better on the PC, cause of the user made content. But this is all I got for now.

I'm thinking about getting a DS. My niece showed me hers, and had Nintendogs on it. I have to admit, I was hooked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
Playstation3 - Madden NFL 08 & NHL 08.

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Eric, FFXII is the first in the series since 7, that I actually played through. Although not perfect, I thought the new fighting system is a lot better than the old school turn based system.

yeah, so far, it's been a lot of fun. i really like using the gambits when i don't need to be right on top of things, and still have the ability to interrupt my 'npc's as needed with other actions.

I'm thinking about getting a DS. My niece showed me hers, and had Nintendogs on it. I have to admit, I was hooked.

it is a really nice system. though, perhaps more than any other i've ever had, the games really make or break the experience. zelda, like i said, was really good. meteos - if you can find a copy of the original (not the disney version) is one of the most fun puzzle games i've ever played. and of course, the versions of mario 64 and mario kart are a lot of fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
the only game I play is return to castle wolfenstein (RTCW).

I know it's old, But I still enjoy it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Almost ashamed to say it, but FPS games.

what system do you use most for gaming (feel free to list all that you own too)?

Winders XP :) More specifically a homebrew box consisting of a Gigabyte NVIDIA 650i motherboard, 2.33ghz C2D, 2GB of RAM, NVIDIA 8800GT/512MB.

The Half Life 2 series ranks WAY up there. I'm also a huge fan of Portal (part of the Orange Box).

what were one or two of your favorite gaming experiences?

I've found a few "Ninja" moves in Portal where I've managed to complete the level without going through the prescribed steps.

I also have to rank finishing Ninja Gaiden 2 on the old NES without any cheats whatsoever - which was a mind-boggling achievement back in the day.

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i have been sucked into an 'american' style rpg...

most of my time recently has been spent with the elder scrolls IV: oblivion (on PS3).

very engrossing, lots of fun. can't wait til bethesda releases fallout 3, which should be like oblivion but better in every way.

also been trying some of the playstation network games. "pixel junk eden" was just released, and that game is fantastic. so simple - reminds me of when katamari damacy came out - a return in some ways to old school arcade gaming with a modern aesthetic. lots of fun, easy to pick up, difficult to master.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I'll answer here again as I didn't answer the questions properly the first time.

I'd have to say any non party based RPG. The more action oriented type with one main character.

what system do you use most for gaming (feel free to list all that you own too)?
These days I'd have to say Wii with it's virtual console and gamecube playing abilities. Cause back in the day I used to own a NES and SNES

Smash Bros Melee and Brawl
Most of the wired Console Zelda games
Starcraft

what were one or two of your favorite gaming experiences? (a moment where you were struck dumb in awe or something you enjoy doing over and over just because it's so much fun)

1. Terranigma for the SNES. I was really dumb struck in how good the music in that game was. And that made me search out the music to have it on my hard drive. And it started my liking of video game music. Well only some selected game tracks I like.

2. Eternal Darkness for the Gamecube. It's the only game ever that sent shivers down my spine. One of the only horror themed games I like cause of that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
and

I actually have 2 favorites - RPG and FPS.

The system I use most is my Mac Pro booted into Windows.

Other systems I own include:
PS2
PS3
XBox360
Wii
iPad
iPod
iPhone

COD series, just about all of them except COD3 (which I never played as it was console only) and MW2 (I hated some of the things IW did to the game).
Battlefield (all, except the newest that I haven't played - I like BF, but not as much as COD)
Rift
Diablo (1, I wasn't very fond of 2)
Torchlight
Angry Birds :)

what were one or two of your favorite gaming experiences? (a moment where you were struck dumb in awe or something you enjoy doing over and over just because it's so much fun)

I honestly can't think of one atm - I just enjoy playing overall.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.