• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple posts $1 Billion profit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
And for some reason the shareholders aren't that happy... Surveys say many investors aren't that confident in Steve Jobs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
And for some reason the shareholders aren't that happy... Surveys say many investors aren't that confident in Steve Jobs.

Because of on going scandles with options backdating and board meeting record falsification. A few high level execs have been forced to resign, and it looks like they were playing a bit of a shell game to say that Jobs never benefited from the options backdating (cancled his options then gave him what they were worth in other stock). There is an appearance that they were playing fast and loose with their financing.

I don't think that anyone is complaining about how much money they made though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Not complaining, more like shrugging it off.

Reaction score
Hmm... I'm not so business savant, so can somebody, in a gist, tell me what kind of trouble steve got with Stock Options? Whose sock options? Apple Stocks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You know what, instead of me trying to explain it, here's a link. It does a much bettter job. RedOrbit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
I am pretty sure Jobs has already been cleared of any wrong doing. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
I am pretty sure Jobs has already been cleared of any wrong doing. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

You can read in the above article about that. Basically, Apple cleared Jobs of wrongdoing, not the SEC. So Apple's statement is just so much PR spin ATM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can read in the above article about that. Basically, Apple cleared Jobs of wrongdoing, not the SEC. So Apple's statement is just so much PR spin ATM.

So it's still out for debate. There are a number of articals that I read that talk of Apple releasing Jobs, but I personally think that is ludicrous.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
So it's still out for debate. There are a number of articals that I read that talk of Apple releasing Jobs, but I personally think that is ludicrous.

Sure, they'll only do it if forced to. I believe that there have been some cases where the SEC has brought charges against CEOs for this kind of thing, so we'll have to wait and see. Personally, I don't think that will happen, but it is pretty clear that Jobs benefitted from the whole thing, and I really don't believe that he didn't know what was going on, at least so far as his own options went, but probably for all of them awarded during this time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
What it is

For those who want a quick explanation of backdating :

Execs often get stock options, which can read something like this :

"12 months from now, and for 5 years after that, you can purchase up to 1 million shares of apple stock from apple at the price of the stock at close on the date this option is issued."

Backdating is when you write up a stock option for an exec like the above statement, and then put the 'date option issued' earlier than the current date.

ie, a clearly illegal and egregious example would be to issue such an option to an exec today (1/19) and put the issue date of the option to 6/19/06 - a date where the stock sold for $54.10

The stock today closed at $88.50. So, naturally the exec then buys a million shares from apple at $54.10, and promptly sells them on the market for $88.10 - making a net of (88.60-54.10) x 1million = 34.4 million.

This money does not grow on trees. One of two things happen :

1 - The shares apple sells are 'new' and were never on the market. The exec has now diluted the value of the stock the other shareholders hold by introducing this 1 million new shares into the market, hence effectively ripping off the shareholders of the stock.

2 - Apple had previously purchased the shares and held them as an asset. Now, it has sold its asset that was worth 88.6 million to this exec for 54.1 million, and the exec of course promptly sells them for 88.6 million. In this case, Apple effectively just paid the exec 34.4 million.

This is a very bad thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
For those who want a quick explanation of backdating :

Execs often get stock options, which can read something like this :

"12 months from now, and for 5 years after that, you can purchase up to 1 million shares of apple stock from apple at the price of the stock at close on the date this option is issued."

Backdating is when you write up a stock option for an exec like the above statement, and then put the 'date option issued' earlier than the current date.

ie, a clearly illegal and egregious example would be to issue such an option to an exec today (1/19) and put the issue date of the option to 6/19/06 - a date where the stock sold for $54.10

The stock today closed at $88.50. So, naturally the exec then buys a million shares from apple at $54.10, and promptly sells them on the market for $88.10 - making a net of (88.60-54.10) x 1million = 34.4 million.

This money does not grow on trees. One of two things happen :

1 - The shares apple sells are 'new' and were never on the market. The exec has now diluted the value of the stock the other shareholders hold by introducing this 1 million new shares into the market, hence effectively ripping off the shareholders of the stock.

2 - Apple had previously purchased the shares and held them as an asset. Now, it has sold its asset that was worth 88.6 million to this exec for 54.1 million, and the exec of course promptly sells them for 88.6 million. In this case, Apple effectively just paid the exec 34.4 million.

This is a very bad thing.

One thing to note, so long as they are above board about it it's OK. What I mean is that they tell everyone (shareholders) that they are issuing X number of shares at the price they were an X date, and then account for the money properly (in the above example that would be taking a 34.4 million dollar charge). Otherwise, as you noted, you end up compensating the executive out of the pockets of the shareholders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I can only hope for another stock split. 80 shares, here I come!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was hoping for a split when it was at $96 but it dropped even though their earnings report was phenominal. It it drops any further I will probably buy more shares before it jumps back up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
i personnally am a small time investor, just dabbling in apple and the "other" software co. stocks. wish i could put more in there but my wife and i don't have that much liquid assets to use.

i think steve needs to get a slap on the wrist for this but not let go from apple............unless there is more here than the public was told.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i personnally am a small time investor

I remember I was just dabbling with the stock market and invested in Apple. Probably the best financial decision I have ever made. I have now seen the power of appreciation and compounding. I make sure all my money is working for me now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.